Must Clean Install but PC won't boot from Win 7 CD

PLEASE HELP!  I'm currently running Win XP Sp3, and even with Mcaffee, I got the mother of all viruses, can't even run task manager in safe mode! so I got Win 7 and want to boot from disc and format drive during install to eliminate this crazy virus, I setup BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first. yet when its time to boot I get the classic "Device not ready F1 to rety or F? to cancel" and of course retry brings an endless loop of this message. BIOS seems to recognize my DVDR so I don't see the problem. does anyone out there please have some advice that I could try, I wanna use my PC again (on a friends now). Please and Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2018 Views 59,305 Applies to:

Hi Jochan,

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you aren't asked to press any key, you might have to specify that your computer uses its DVD drive or a USB flash drive as the first startup device. To do this, you need to change settings in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS).           

Warning: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

1. Turn on your computer, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then restart your computer.
2. Newer computers often display a startup (or boot) menu. On the startup menu, choose "BIOS setup," or "BIOS settings," or something similar.
Procedures vary depending on the BIOS manufacturer. Usually, you must press a key (such as F2, F12, Delete, Esc) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer but before Windows starts. If the Windows logo appears, you need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer again.
3. The BIOS setup screen appears. On the BIOS setup screen, choose the option called "Boot order," or something similar. Boot order settings might also be listed under "Advanced settings" or something similar.
4. Select your DVD drive or USB flash drive as the first startup device. (The USB flash drive might be listed under "Removable devices" or something similar.)
5. Save the setting changes, and then exit the BIOS.
6. Restart your computer, and then start Windows 7 from the installation disc or USB flash drive as previously described.

Check the link for more information: Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-computer-from-a-Windows-7-installation-disc-or-USB-flash-drive

If you are still unable to boot with CD/DVD, then I would suggest that you contact the computer manufacturer or Tech shop to make the computer to boot from the CD/DVD.

Thanks and Regards:
Swathi B - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I Stated In the Original Post that I setup BIOS to boot from dvd first, and I've already been to the links you recomended, in my own searching. I apreciate the effort though, thanks.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having basically the same issue. Windows 7 has mucked my machine a good one.

I was trying to install Windows 7 on my laptop; It rebooted in the middle of the installation 'installation unsuccessful'. Reboot and install again. yea.

I tried to follow the instructions, but the laptop won't boot from a disc anymore, it see's the windows disc, and then tries to boot to the hard drive. Frack- what?

I've tried changing the BIOS and I've tried using the 'manual boot option' on my laptop; nothing's working so far. I even tried booting to Ubuntu [to wipe the hard drive]  and it hops over it and goes to windows. and we're back in this stupid loop again.

I speculate I'm off to trying a the USB boot option. Yea.

Thanks Microsoft - good job guys- wouldn't expect anything less than a challenge.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Once you get 7 running, ditch McAffee for Norton. McAffee is terrible.

And man is censorship strict here.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks - your right [on both counts] - McAfee, by far, uses more resources than any other anti-virus I've ever used. I discourage my customers to not use it on the grounds of it's lack of performance.

I appreciate it...

Later,
Larry

·

Sorry this didn't help.

"lehenryjr" wrote in message news:a6430217-acbb-407f-b1e3-1cde9dde3342...
> Thanks - your right [on both counts] - McAfee, by far, uses more resources
> than any other anti-virus I've ever used. I discourage my customers to not
> use it on the grounds of it's lack of performance.
>
> I appreciate it...
>
> Later,
> Larry
>

Frying pans and Fires come to mind, suddenly
Ditching McAfee for Norton? I'd put both in the ditch and use something that
allows the computer to work properly (although I understand that Norton have
improved lately....)
Personally, the free A-V's have always worked for me - AVG *was* great but
has begun using large resources. currently I use Avast, Avira, or MSE,
depending on need.

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC
Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

·

Sorry this didn't help.