Multi-Boot Windows XP and Windows 7

If I am not mistaken, Windows 7 has a multi-boot feature.   Do I understand that if you try to install Win 7 on a PC that has Win XP installed, the installation will offer a multi-boot approach where Win 7 will be installed in a separate partition?  Is Win 7 multi-boot reliable?

Thank you in advance for your help.

|
Answer
Answer

Windows 7 can be installed in a dual boot configuration if you already have a prepared partition on which to install it. The operating system will not do this by default either, and will by default format the Windows XP installation currently installed on your hard disk.

If you do have a partition setup to install Windows 7 side by side with Windows XP, you must boot to the Windows XP desktop, start the installation, select the custom option during the setup wizard and select the partition specified where you want Windows 7 installed. This will create a dual boot entry for your Windows 7 and XP installation.

Windows XP will be place under the menu called Earlier versions of Windows.

If you want to remove this entry if it so happens to be created when your intended purpose was to remove Windows XP, EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies would be your answer, it provides a graphical front end to the BCDEdit Command line that makes it easy for you to define start-up settings and edit boot entries on the new Windows boot manager. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
On Tue, 18 May 2010 21:36:20 +0000, Hidalgo47 wrote:
> Thank you, Andre.
>
> I am in a planning stage so I can partition the drive as necessary. Could you please suggest how to partition the drive? For example, I have a drive of 250 Gb capacity. I want to have two "main partitions" (not sure if this is the right name for it), C: (of say 100 Gb for Win 7 OS), another C: of 50 Gb for Win XP, and D: and E: each of 50 Gb. And I would like the D: and E: to be available to either OS. Is this possible?

I'm not Andre, but I suggest that you read this article I've written
for suggestions on how to partition your drive: "Understanding Disk
Partitioning" at
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=326\

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2021 Views 4,284 Applies to: