Microsoft Software Recovery Tool

I'm wondering why Microsoft decided to pull all Digital River .isos down and replace them with a non-functional tool?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Also why Microsoft force entry of a product key with this tool? Didn't they learn with the initial Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 downloaders that forcing the entry of a product key to download installation media was a bad idea? This tool doesn't work for retail licenses as it seems to be intended for. It also blocks out all OEM licenses and the Digital River .isos were a valuable installation source for OEM licenses.

Case 1:

When I select English with the new tool for my English Student Windows 7 Professional Upgrade License (purchased from software4students.co.uk)

Unsupported Language Error

The language you've selected is not available for the product you are eligible for.  Please select a different language.

It however will let me download in French!!! Despite the fact that I bought an English license in an English speaking country... We don't speak French in the United Kingdom...

Case 2:

When I select English with the new tool for my English Student Windows 7 Ultimate License (purchased from software4students.co.uk)

Unsupported Product

The product key you entered appears to be for software licensed through an Enterprise Agreement.   Please contact the Volume Licensing Service Center for software recovery options or visit the Volume Licensing Home Page for more information on Enterprise Agreements.

My license is not volume license and is an English retail upgrade. Does Microsoft even test these tools before breaking things that worked these days?

Case 3:

When I select English with my Dell Windows 7 Home Premium Product Key on its COA. I get

Unsupported Product

The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

If Microsoft are going to make a new tool for retail installs can they actually let OEMs like Dell provide a similar utility to download installation media with OEM SLP activation? The question is in 2015 with modern internet speeds why do Microsoft still force OEMs to administer the most convoluted procedure ever? Why should I have to waste time to call Dell to get physical media shipped? Then waste even more time waiting on shipment? Then install when I can instead easily download a .iso in less than an hour and complete most the install within the time it takes to call Dell to get the media sent out.

Update 20/06/2015

The Microsoft Software Recovery Tool will likely never be fixed as Windows 7 is about to be cut in far for Windows 10 RTM.

For a while I've been advising:

1. Windows 7 OEM customers with no installation media
  2. Windows 8.1 OEM (with Bing) customers with no installation media
  3. Windows Vista OEM/Retail customers with an obsolete OS but capable hardware
  4. Windows XP OEM/Retail Customers with a very obsolete OS but capable hardware

to install Windows 10 Insider and use it as a stepping stone to reach Windows 10 RTM. I knew Microsoft could not add Windows 7 OEM SLP to Windows 10 due to piracy concerns. I knew also they would have a huge mess on their hands with Windows Insiders in situation 1. and 2. who are eligible for the free upgrade but installed the Windows 10 Insider and had no installation media.

Now Microsoft finally present details in how the free upgrade works.

Getting the final release on July 29th

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Taking a Look into Windows 10 Microsoft Product Activation: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-10147-signs-of-product-keys-and-microsoft/c615f84b-9fd4-4279-9e00-beeccf73ad34?tm=1434802801431

Discussion Info

Last updated April 3, 2020 Views 66,131 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Reply In reply to deleted message

I was with MSFT help desk today and took 1 hour on the phone to just figure out their http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery page is broken.  Lame!!

Meanwhile, they provided me an alternative site to download their ISO image.

Here is it.

***Removed URL***

They ensured I would hear back from them regarding broken http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery.

Good luck.

THAT IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED MS SITE and I suspect you did not speak with MS.  The recovery page is not broken

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/
Reply In reply to deleted message

The Software recovery tool is a definite step back from the Digital River .isos and I would say its completely broken at worst and crippled at best.

However it seems that they they implemented a new tool without properly testing it and left nothing as a working backup. When I used the chat with Microsoft Technical Support for my Retail Upgrade licenses, she recommended use of the Digital River .isos which were of course broken... She then tried to refer me back to the online shop (Software4Students.co.uk) I bought the Retail Upgrade licenses. That's the Retail licenses which are meant to have Microsoft support... Microsoft Support can't even seem to provide a working download link. Microsoft should not be sending users to unofficial third party websites but with the current situation who knows what they are doing. I could of wasted time with software4students who no longer sell Windows 7 Retail Upgrade (only OEM) and hence likely cannot provide a physical installation DVD.  I have the Digital River .isos backed up onto 5 external hard drives so I never bothered pursuing it any further.

Then theres the issue of the OEM licenses deliberately locked out by the tool where the situation is even worse...

There is however a possibility that Microsoft have deliberately messed this downloader up to kill Windows 7 in order to force users onto Windows 10. They have certainly almost wiped Windows Vista out and the lack of Digital River setup files will only help with this. There will be a lot of unhappy users if the update to Windows 10 makes even a small fraction of Windows 7 OEM machines non-bootable and the fact that these users can't reinstall Windows 7 to be eligible to get Windows 10.

I had a chat with the microsoft store yesterday about this. First they tried the digital river iso's. When that didn't work they passed me over to their technical support chat. Their tech support people sent me over to the software recovery page. I got the same unsupported language error. He said I was his third customer that day with the same problem. The tech support line said to wait two days and if the situation isn't resolved, I can contact them again and they will put a dvd in the mail.

I'm having the same issue...

I have two retail English W7 Pro Product Keys as well as the original discs pre-SP1.

I thought I'd try getting a current ISO copy with SP1 but it gives me the English not supported error!!

I was able to get a download link for a French 32bit iso!

I hope they fix this problem! My Genuine COE states for Distribution in US only!

Here it is March 14 and it is still unresolved.

I called tech support yesterday, after an hour I was told the next level support would call me.

They called, wanted to take control of my computer, which I denied. Then repeated everything that the first support did, and said it could be caused by a second language installed, I told them that there was no second language, they left the phone-line open and never returned to the line.

By now it should be obvious that there is a problem with the site. Neither tech mentioned anybody else having the problem. 

I made a tutorial video highlighting all the issues I experienced with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3jUe9Q_Wg8

It doesn't hold any solution though. Microsoft are the only ones who can fix the problems.

I've jumped through all of the Microsoft hoops, also, while trying to resolve the Unsupported Language Error message in Microsoft Software Recovery. I spent a considerable amount of time with Microsoft Support, gave them access to my computer, and they tried with Google, IE, and Firefox to get beyond the Unsupported Language Error. Failing, they asked to set up an appointment for an Advanced Technical representative to phone me. The call never came, so I'm waiting like the rest of you to see how long it will take for Microsoft to resolve this problem. It's two days since my online chat with support, so I decided to take a tip from some of you who have tried your own fixes. I WAS able to download the ISO file by choosing Korean! I'm English. I've not gone further because I'm unsure if the install will work and I've invested enough time already. I've about decided to abandon my plan to add Windows 7 to my laptop - which is a dedicated Debian machine. I'm using Chromebook for most of my online computing these days, and I'm learning the Debian system. By the time the next iteration of Windows appears I may not need it! I've 8.1 on this machine, but hope that Google and Linux will enable me to exist without it in the not too distant future. I've upgraded through every version of Windows since 2.11, but Windows products and support have not kept pace with the industry and I've become increasingly disillusioned. 
I've jumped through all of the Microsoft hoops, also, while trying to resolve the Unsupported Language Error message in Microsoft Software Recovery. I spent a considerable amount of time with Microsoft Support, gave them access to my computer, and they tried with Google, IE, and Firefox to get beyond the Unsupported Language Error. Failing, they asked to set up an appointment for an Advanced Technical representative to phone me. The call never came, so I'm waiting like the rest of you to see how long it will take for Microsoft to resolve this problem. It's two days since my online chat with support, so I decided to take a tip from some of you who have tried your own fixes. I WAS able to download the ISO file by choosing Korean! I'm English. I've not gone further because I'm unsure if the install will work and I've invested enough time already. I've about decided to abandon my plan to add Windows 7 to my laptop - which is a dedicated Debian machine. I'm using Chromebook for most of my online computing these days, and I'm learning the Debian system. By the time the next iteration of Windows appears I may not need it! I've 8.1 on this machine, but hope that Google and Linux will enable me to exist without it in the not too distant future. I've upgraded through every version of Windows since 2.11, but Windows products and support have not kept pace with the industry and I've become increasingly disillusioned. 

To be honest I don't think this is ever going to be fixed. I also don't think the issues I've mentioned on the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool will be fixed. Windows 10 is around the corner.

Take it with a pinch of salt, according to Paul Thurrott - SuperSite for Windows.

The background: On December 5, someone asked Microsoft's Gabe Aul—he's emerged as the face of the Windows Technical Preview—whether testers would be "able to update to the RTM version [of Windows 10] when it ships? Mr. Aul responded in the affirmative: "Yes, that is our intent."

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-technical-preview-users-should-be-able-upgrade-rtm-version-windows-10

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/540579810880147457

Also despite all warnings there will be a large number of insiders that have wiped out a Windows 7 OEM install complete with a wipeout of the recovery partitions as you know there is no Digital Deployment for these customers to revert back to Windows 7. Microsoft are very unlikely to damage their relations with enthusiasts who made a mistake during installation and at the same time reward Chinese pirates:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31940716

However it is Microsoft and I have seen the many terrible policies they have enforced with installation media particularly damaging the OEM userbase.

It seems the best thing to do at present is to install Windows 10 Technical Preview and use it to upgrade to the final RTM or obtain an .iso from it for clean installation...

I was with MSFT help desk today and took 1 hour on the phone to just figure out their http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery page is broken.  Lame!!

Meanwhile, they provided me an alternative site to download their ISO image.

Here is it.

***Removed URL***

They ensured I would hear back from them regarding broken http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery.

Good luck.

THAT IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED MS SITE and I suspect you did not speak with MS.  The recovery page is not broken

The recovery page may not be broken, but it doesn't work! The only download I could get was Korean and I don't read that language. I successfully created an ISO disk, and it works - but I can't install without a translator!

To be honest I don't think this is ever going to be fixed. I also don't think the issues I've mentioned on the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool will be fixed. Windows 10 is around the corner.

Take it with a pinch of salt, according to Paul Thurrott - SuperSite for Windows.

The background: On December 5, someone asked Microsoft's Gabe Aul—he's emerged as the face of the Windows Technical Preview—whether testers would be "able to update to the RTM version [of Windows 10] when it ships? Mr. Aul responded in the affirmative: "Yes, that is our intent."

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-technical-preview-users-should-be-able-upgrade-rtm-version-windows-10

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/540579810880147457

Also despite all warnings there will be a large number of insiders that have wiped out a Windows 7 OEM install complete with a wipeout of the recovery partitions as you know there is no Digital Deployment for these customers to revert back to Windows 7. Microsoft are very unlikely to damage their relations with enthusiasts who made a mistake during installation and at the same time reward Chinese pirates:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31940716

However it is Microsoft and I have seen the many terrible policies they have enforced with installation media particularly damaging the OEM userbase.

It seems the best thing to do at present is to install Windows 10 Technical Preview and use it to upgrade to the final RTM or obtain an .iso from it for clean installation...

I was able to download the ISO using the Korean language selection. I successfully created an ISO boot disk, and it works - but I can't install without a translator! I suppose I'll telephone Tech Support again this week, sit for an hour or more, and then be told that someone will phone me. I've been through that and that's the last I heard. No phone call; no solution to this problem.