|'m trying to install Win2000 Pro so that I can dual boot to it (or to the existing installed Win7 Pro).

lnstal dual boot win 2000 on existing Win7Pro64bit

|'m trying to install Win2000 Pro so that I can dual boot to it (or to the existing installed Win7 Pro). I have shrunk the Win7 C Drive and have set up a new formatted SimplePartition called ' 'D' Windows2000' it is NTFS' When I start my computer with the Win2000 Installation CD present, it offers me the choice of booting from the CD - I do this and then it sits there for about 5mins - no messages of any sort, until finally I get a locked up screen telling me that 'Windows is starting up' - nothing then happens and the only way of getting back to my original op. sytem is to disconnect all power sources, including the Laptop's battery. When I reboot into Win7 there is no sign that anyhting has taken place atall (apart from being intersted to know where all that info from the Win2000 CD ended up!), I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Answer
Answer

A lot of modern systems are phasing out support for Windows XP, I don't think you would have much luck getting Windows 2000 Professional to properly install on a modern system. I know some persons who have gotten XP drivers to work under Windows 2000, but this is after a successful install. Your case is unique since you are trying to install a 12 year old operating system on a modern machine. Have you considered alternative solutions such as running Windows 2000 Professional in a virtual machine? I have Windows 2000 Professional in a VMWare VM and its exceptionally fast with just 256 MBs of RAM.

VirtualBox is a free solution you could try:

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/061976.html

Its possible things like chipset driver and build of Windows 2000 you are using are not compatible with your system. For example, trying to install from a Windows 2000 RTM CD versus a Windos 2000 SP4 CD might present different results.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 275 Applies to: