License for Windows 7 PC installed with Windows Loader

A few years ago I bought a PC with a legal license of Windows 7, with the COA sticker and an install disc. Later it developed problems and I had an IT-ish friend reinstall the OS. When I got it back it was running fine, and I upgraded it to Windows 10 during Microsoft's free upgrade period. It has upgraded to Anniversary Edition and continues to run fine.

I recently learned that when my friend reinstalled Windows 7, he didn't use my Windows 7 install disc and key code. He used a Windows 7 RTM disc , whatever that is, and something called Windows Loader that he says activated the operating system without going through the usual channels. I don't know why he didn't use my disc, or why he chose his method, but that's what he did.

So I have a possibly illegal Windows on my PC. But it is working just fine and has continued to get updates, and is running 10 now quite happily. Do I need to do anything, since I still have the Windows 7 install disc and the license sticker?
|
Answer
Answer

Did your friend reinstall edition of Windows 7 you have a license for?

If they reinstalled the exact edition of Windows 7 you were originally running (Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate), then it should matter.

• The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro will install Windows 10 Pro

To find out if you have the right edition installed:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Edition.

If you have the edition of Windows 10 that corresponds with your Windows 10 license, then, you can always update the product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click Next to Activate

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2021 Views 1,748 Applies to: