Key Management Service binding is missing or corrupt. How can I activate?

I bought a 2nd hand laptop with windows 7. It says the Key Management Service binding is missing or corrupt. I don't have access to the original organisation's network, so how can I activate Windows?
Answer
Answer

You will need to reinstall Windows Vista then and use the product key at the bottom of the laptop to reactivate it or you can purchase a upgrade license for Windows 7:

Windows 7 - version comparisons:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

MS Store Prices for Windows 7:

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

--------------

Reinstall Windows Vista:

Windows Vista (English) with Service Pack 1
Windows Vista (x86) Windows Vista (x64)
X14-63452.exe X14-63453.exe
boot.wim boot.wim
install.wim install.wim

Installation Instructions

You must download the .exe, the boot.wim and the install.wim in the same place. Run the .exe file and it will extract all the files into a folder called Vista. Windows installer will now start (cancel the installer).

To create a bootable .iso extract the files to the Vista folder and download Imgburn. Launch imgburn and select "Create Image file from files/folders"

Select the browse folder button and select your Vista folder. Next select Advanced.

To the left will be your Vista folder, to the right make sure, you have checked Make Image Bootable, changed the Developer ID: Microsoft Corporation, load segment: 07C0 and Sectors to load: 4.

Select the browse folder button and then navigate to your Vista folder and then select the boot folder and finally select the file called etfsboot.

Select the build button.

Save your .iso

Select yes when the prompt for the Volume Label comes up and then select ok. Finally wait for it to make the .iso file.

Once one has the .iso file they may wish to use the Microsoft .iso to USB/DVD tool to create a bootable DVD or USB (requires a blank DVD or USB flash stick of at least 4 GB).

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 5,655 Applies to: