Is windows 7 compatible with XP software / hardware?

Honestly. Why is this question proving SO difficult for Microsoft to answer? After all the flack you received over Vista, why on Earth is the 'XP compatability mode' being restricted to Windows 7 Ultimate - which will NOT be the version installed on the PCs that the very people who care about this question will be buying i.e. the 80% of users who are ordinary people, not geeks?  

I just want to know if I can use my Microsoft Office 2000 Professional on Windows 7. Office 2007 is a nightmare that ordinary people who have spent years learning earlier versions did not ask for. I just want to be given the dignity to continue using one of YOUR products that millions of us LOVE. Please???

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 6,904 Applies to:
Answer

"Virtual XP Mode" is provided as more of a "last resort" for those who are required to use legacy software which does not function correctly on Windows 7 (for example, several VPN clients weren't compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7 that are required for users to connect to their workplace network; another example would be if you have legacy hardware that is not supported with drivers under Windows 7, however functions correctly under Windows XP).

It is not limited to Windows 7 Ultimate -- it is also available to users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise, with Professional being the edition of choice on most business-oriented systems.

As for compatibility with Microsoft Office 2000, I've heard from a few folks that it does indeed work on Windows 7 - you'll want to make sure you install the latest service pack/service release to ensure that it works smoothly.

Hope that helps, have a great day!

Kristan M. Kenney ("Nighthawk64") | My Blog: http://blog.kristankenney.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Actually, Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode is not limited to the Ultimate Edition, it also is supported under Windows Enterprise and Professional editions. The target audience for XP Mode is really small businesses and power users who still have legacy applications they would like to continue using while transitioning to Windows 7.

As Kris noted, Office 2000 works on Windows 7, there might be some compatibility problems so don't expect everything to work properly, since that suite was released 10 years ago.
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.