Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Installing windows 7 from USB

Hello. I'm tring to create a windows 7 install usb flash disk with windows 7 usb/dvd download tool but it says: " Status: Files copied Successfully. However, we were unable to run bootsect to make the usb device bootable. If you need assistane etc etc...." I'm tring to create a windows 7 64bit install usb flash on my laptop which runs Windows 8 Single Language 64bit. After plugging usb to my desktop, it gives error: Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause etc etc. I have a crashed windows on my desktop which loops at starting screen because of a stupid windows startup loop tool. But my crashed windows is not even running because i didn't setted it as 2nd boot drive on my Bios. And when i try to run bootsect.exe manualy it gives an error saying: This tool can only be run on systems booted using a pc/at bios. This system was booted using EFI or some other firmware type. First of all i think this must be a big joke. I mean, I can't make something because my current system doesn't run with it? This is my laptop yea it might be using EFI but i'm going to stick this usb to my desktop to install windows 7. So anyone knows a solution? Yea a web searchs are just directing me to BOT-Promoted solutions. 5 different websites all same solution with same person asking question, same person answering and same 4-5 people posting "yea it works!". So yea web is corrupted by that **** now.
Answer
Answer

I figured it out:

You can not run the version that is part of the installation media you are trying to make your USB drive with on a EFI or non-PC/AT firmware system.

Bootsect is part of my Windows 8.1 UEFI systems, and is part of Windows 7 (maybe Vista) on up.  So what I did was opened command prompt running as Administrator, which takes me to C:\Windows\System32.  Note 'C' might be different, and will depend on which drive you have your current Windows OS on.

From there, without changing directories, I typed:

bootsect /nt60 f:

(f is the location of my USB drive and will be different for most people, just substitute your USB drive letter for it)

Voila, done.

74 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2020 Views 18,630 Applies to: