Install RAID from USB Flash Drive before OS installation

I will be installing RAID on my boot drive and will be using W7 HP. So I need to install the RAID driver before the OS Installation.

Do I need to install from a floppy(didn't plan on getting one) or will W7 HP give me the option of loading the RAID driver from a USB flash disk drive like Windows Vista does?

Do flash drives already come pre-formatted? Will the new motherboard instantly recognize it?

Separate question: This is for a new build with new hard drives. Will it be easy to upgrade from XP to W7?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2018 Views 19,245 Applies to:
Hi Jimbo2399,

Windows 7 is an extention of Windows Vista with some modification to enhance user satisfaction and hence Windows 7 will give you the option of loading the RAID driver from a USB flash disk drive like Windows Vista.

The Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate  editions of Windows 7 officially support the following dynamic disk modes:

* Simple
    * Spanned
    * Striped (RAID-0)
    * Mirrored (RAID-1)

These are the officially supported modes. It has been possible in previous Windows releases to enable unsupported modes through DLL modifications and/or registry changes, and this will probably be the case in Windows 7 as well. At your own risk, of course.

RAID-5 dynamic disks are only available in Windows Server editions.

Note that dynamic disks are not available in the Standard/Home editions of Windows 7.

When you install Windows 7 with a RAID.

1. You will need to enable the RAID controller in the BIOS of your Motherboard, refer to documentation to do so, or tinker around in there to find the correct settings.

2. after POST test, you will need to hit F5 or some F# to enter the RAID Controller configuration(it will prompt you).

3. After the RAID is set up on the drives and controller, you will have to have the Drivers on a USB or floppy drive, inserted into the PC, before you boot.

4. Boot to Win 7, load the drivers, once loaded, you will see only one drive, format and install Win 7.

Q) Do flash drives already come pre-formatted?

A) Well, It depends on the manufacturer. The flash drives may have to be formatted before going ahead with RAID configuration.

Q) Will it be easy to upgrade from XP to W7?

A) Yes it should be but keep in mind that it is not possible to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. However, you may custom install from Windows XP to Windows 7.

The Upgrade option is not available in Windows 7 Setup when installing Windows 7 on a computer running Windows XP.

However, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from Windows XP to Windows 7 on the same computer.

You should have the Windows 7 installation disc to install Windows 7 in your computer.

To see if your PC is ready for Windows 7, download the free Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. It scans your PC for potential issues with your hardware, devices, and installed programs, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.

You can download Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor from the link below.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

You can check the Windows 7 system requirements from the link below.

Windows 7 system requirements

Click on the link below for more information on Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 .

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Azeez,

Thanks for the help. I have XP on my current machine but I will be doing a brand new W7 installation on a new build of mine.

When I go to install W7 on my new machine won't it just ask me to insert the XP CD and verify that I have XP? I shouldn't have to install XP on my new build and then do a custom install, should I?

Thank you!

Jim

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.