Question

Q: Can I use Windows system image to restore my programs after upgrade from windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit? This thread is locked from future replies

Hi,

I have read through a fair amount of the forum but can't seem to find a straight answer on this. I may be naive but I am looking at upgrading my 7 ultimate 32 bit to the 64 bit version and want to know if i can use the system image utility in windows back up to restore all my programs and files after the custom install necessary to get to 64bit.

I don't have a lot of my serial numbers etc for programs i have purchased and it will be a hassle to get everything back on there.

Thanks

Answer

A:

No, the system image is an image of your 32-Bit version of Windows. The only option is to save files and folders to external media and then install each application and restore your files and folders.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

No, it cannot do that, because you are moving from one platform architecture 32 bit to another 64 bit. The system image saved will only be able to restore a 32 bit system. You will need to do a reinstall of all your programs and device drivers.

You will have to do a clean installation, there is no in place upgrade path from Windows 7 32 Bit to 64 bit.

Using the Windows 7 64 bit disk, install the Windows 7 Windows Easy Transfer Utility from the DVD (To find it, just navigate to x:\support\migwiz, 'x:' represents the name of your disk drive. In this folder, you will see a collection of files, the important one you need to look for and double click is 'migsetup'.) , run it and create a WET file (Windows Easy Transfer file), if you have an external hard disk, you can have it stored there so you can access it later when you do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk.

Once you have done that, simply do a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit disk. In Windows 7 64 bit disk, launch Windows Easy Transfer, follow the on screen wizard, point to where you stored the the WET file (external hard disk), and it will restore your personal files and settings. Reinstall any necessary applications.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 473 Last updated: December 2, 2017 Applies to: