Question

Q: Windows Vista Ultimate Reinstall This thread is locked from future replies

Because Win 7 is computer specific, I can't run it on my laptop and desktop both (I only could afford and bought one copy).  I installed it on both because the intitial upgrade on my desktop didn't work (monitor problems).  It is now working on the desktop, but I'll have to go back to Win Vista Ult on my laptop (because of license req. when I register the desktop copy).  How can I reinstall Win Vista Ult on my desktop without losing everything (doing a custom install; can't do an upgrade)?  Thanks.

Answer

A:

Because Win 7 is computer specific, I can't run it on my laptop and desktop both (I only could afford and bought one copy).  I installed it on both because the intitial upgrade on my desktop didn't work (monitor problems).  It is now working on the desktop, but I'll have to go back to Win Vista Ult on my laptop (because of license req. when I register the desktop copy).  How can I reinstall Win Vista Ult on my desktop without losing everything (doing a custom install; can't do an upgrade)?  Thanks.

Windows 7 is only "computer specific" as in every other version - one licence for one computer.
You re-install Vista on your desktop in the manner that the Vendor gave you. If the machine originally had a hidden partition to accomplish this then you will have to look at the documentation (either what you recieved, or on the website) as to how to use this. If you've removed the partition then you will have to go to the Vendor and (for a fee) they should be able to send you a Recovery DVD. Whatever method you use, you MUST backup ALL your data first, and don't forget your Favoritesn - many people do.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

how to uninstall Windows 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971762

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

Frenchie

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 406 Last updated: November 22, 2017 Applies to: