Q: Installing windows 7with two hard drives This thread is locked from future replies

re: windows 7 upgrade of Oct 22 full release.

I have prepurchased the Windows 7 Home Premium  upgrade.  My machine is running Home Premium Vista SP2.   I have two hard drives and would like to be able to dual boot with Vista or 7.  Would it be possible to remove the hard drive with Vista and do a clean install on the second to see how it works and then remove the second drive and do an dual boot upgrade on the drive with Vista.    Everything I read says a clean install is better but I would like to have Vista available if I have problems with 7.

Save yourself the trouble of having to do a repair installation by simply leaving your computer as is. Insert the Windows 7 DVD, click Install Now > during the setup wizard, click 'Custom', select the second drive on which you intended to test Windows 7 and proceed with the installation. This will create a dual boot setup that will allow you to choose which version of Windows you would like to boot into. If you satisfied with it and you decide to move to it full time. Simply boot into Windows Vista, Insert the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade dvd and click upgrade. After installing Windows 7, click Start > Computer > right click the second drive on which you have been testing Windows 7 and click format.

Andre Da Costa
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,378 Last updated: November 17, 2017 Applies to: