Question

Q: Upgrade from vista This thread is locked from future replies

I have a PC at home which I upgrading the hardware.  When I originally bought the PC it had Windows Vista Home edition, which I upgraded to the Ultimate addition.

After I install the new hardware (including a new empty hard drive) I'd like to install Windows 7 Ultimate.  Can I do a clean install of Windows 7 if I have my installation disk and products keys of home and Ultimate Vista OS?  Or do I have to install vista home, then upgrade to ultimate, then upgrade to 7?

Steven

Answer

A:

In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.  You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive.  The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed.

If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
       2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
       3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
       4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

You should be able to repair the installation if your install does crash. I would suggest you create a System Image (backup) of your Windows 7 installation after installing Windows 7 to save you the trouble if your computer does crash in the future.

You can work around this two ways, I would suggest you create a System Image (backup) of your Windows 7 installation after installing Windows 7 to save you the trouble if your computer experiences system failure or instability. Since you are within possession of a valid Windows Vista license for that computer, you can use the following method to do a clean install with the Upgrade media:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/24/how-to-backup-your-installation-of-windows-7/
Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 265 Last updated: November 28, 2017 Applies to: