Question

Q: BIOS boot menu goes to "Starting Windows" This thread is locked from future replies

I build a PC recently and bought windows 7 off of ebay. It was not opened and still had the plastic wrap around it. It came with a 64 bit and 32 bit home edition.

When I installed win7 64 bit OS on my pc, for some reason it installed as 32 bit. (I made absolutely sure that the cd read 64 bit and I reformatted 3 times to triple check {2 customs and 1 upgrade}). I talked to Microsoft and they are trying to help me determine what the problem is. My system IS 64 bit compatible with:

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

XFX Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) HD-577A-ZNFC Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R ATX Intel Motherboard

Me and the tech rep also ran Windows 7 upgrade tool advisor to double check the my system was 64bit compatible, and the test showed that my system passed. So our next idea was to try the 32 bit disc to check if maybe the labels on the two discs were mixed up. When trying to boot the 32 bit disc, I hit f12 which takes me to the  boot menu. I select CDROM and when it asks for me to press a key to boot i do so. Once i pass this part it proceeds to "Starting Windows" and takes me to my login screen. I have tried using this disc on my laptop to see if maybe the disc was the problem but my laptop was able to start the setup. 

When trying to run the disc from My Computer I receive the error:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks much.

Answer

A:

Recap:

Couldn't get any CD's to boot from disk through start up. When I chose the option to boot from CD, the message asking the user to press any key to boot came up. When I pressed keys, my computer would proceed to "Starting windows" screen where you see the animation logo. This then takes you to the desktop instead of the setting up windows screen.

I messed with the bios settings numerously and this did not help. I replaced my dvd/cd drives and this did not help. I got a replacement on my windows disc and also a replacement of my motherboard in case bios was corrupt. This did not help. Finally when my new motherboard came in I was able to decide that it was a harddrive defect. I replaced the harddrive and the system boots from cd correctly.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1627 Last updated: December 2, 2017 Applies to: