How to place a valid ISO file into windows 7 USB/DVD download tool

I've been trying to reformat my computer for weeks now, im not upgrading or changing my OS i just want to start from scratch because i bought this computer from a friend and he deleted some pretty important drivers and such that i've also had no luck getting back, im using a HP touchsmart 600 with windows 7 home premium 64-bit. i have my code and an installation disk, but this is where it get's annoying. My disk drive doesnt work so if i wiped my computer it would be stuck so i want to use USB/DVD tool to put the iso onto an external hard drive and boot it that way. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

this is the article i have been using since starting this task. after i download the ISO for my OS and try to put it through the USB tool it tells me it's not a valid ISO.. i cant get any further than that, if i try putting the ISO on the external hard drive and then go through the program it actually lets me get to last step but when i click the add button is says the device is already in use.. so either way i seem to be stuck with this massive headache. 

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2019 Views 1,379 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You should try using a USB Thumb drive instead of a hard disk.

you will have to use a tool such as the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool)
This simple tool will help you convert the same image file into to a USB thumb drive. For installation purposes, you should get a thumb drive that’s at least 4 GBs in size to store the installation files. Browse to where the Windows 7 Image is stored, open it.

Select the USB device where you want to have the backup stored to for installation.

Once the USB device has been identified, click the Begin copying button.

And that’s it, the next step now is to boot your Computer from the thumb drive, make sure the thumb drive you will be installing Windows 7 from is plugged into the USB port. This might vary by manufacturer, but the usual one to try is F12, start your Computer and press F12 repeatedly until a screen is displayed giving you the option to boot from a USB Memory device, select that and press Enter on your keyboard.

Windows 7 will boot as it normally does into the setup environment.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.