How to make a Storage Hard Disk a Bootable one?

Hi:

Since I have not succeeded to find a driver for my Genius ColorPage-HR6 Scanner which worked fine with my former OS: Windows XP SP3, and that I have been using two hard disks; On the first one which is an internal HD, I have installed Windows 7 professional 64bit edition and on one partition only. But the second hard disk is a Transcend storage disk with 1TB capacity and I have divided it into Four partitions and now, I believe that the best way is to have a second operating system such as my former WIN XP, in which the scanner worked, installed on one of these partitions. So, in order to do so , I need to know how to make that partition a Bootable one. In case if you know of the solution, please let me know.

Thank you,

Dr. R. Pouyafar

Sunday, November 23, 2014 

if you already have a Windows XP license, is to dual boot with Windows 7:

The following instructions will show how to dual boot Windows 7 and XP on your machine instead of replacing one with the other.

It is important you have a reinstallation or repair disc in case you need to reinstall or repair your WIndows 7 installation.

The following article will show you how to create a repair disc:

http://notebooks.com/2011/02/09/how-to-create-a-system-repair-disc-in-windows-7/

Drivers for Windows XP:

You should first find out if your computer is compatible with Windows XP. A lot more modern computers are phasing out support for Windows XP.

Create Partition (If you already have a partition or hard disk setup, skip this)

In order to do that, use Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Manager-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Proceed to install Easeus:

Click Next, follow the easy on screen instructions.

When the installation is complete, click Finish

Click Go to main screen

Select the drive you want to resize in the partition window

Drag the knob until you have a desired amount of disk space to install Windows XP, then release it.

Click apply to apply the changes you just made.

Click Yes

Click Yes

Your computer will restart a few times and changes will be made to the partition layout, this process is hands free, so no interaction is required.

--------------------------------------------

Install Windows XP

In order to install Windows XP on the partition you created, you will need to boot into your BIOS and set the hard disk mode to IDE.

After you have set the hard disk IDE mode, you can proceed to install Windows XP on the partition you created;

Insert your Windows XP CD, then restart your computer.

When prompted to boot from the CD, do so. This requires pressing any key on your keyboard.

Windows XP will go through its setup process.

Once you arrive at the Welcome Setup, press Enter on your keyboard to begin the setup process

Press F8 on your keyboard to accept the license agreement

Select the partition

Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system

Press F on your keyboard to begin the formatting.

Installation files will now be copied to your hard disk

Your system will be restarted, Windows XP setup will continue

----------------------------------------------

After Windows XP installs successfully, you will not be able to boot into Windows 7. This is where the recovery disc for Windows 7 comes in.

1. Put the Windows 7 Recovery disc installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. Type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

After you have repaired your Windows 7 installation and try to boot it, you will notice that Windows 7 does not boot.

Boot into the BIOS again and set the hard disk mode to SATA. You will now be able to boot into Windows 7 again.

-------------------------------------------

After doing that, download EasyBCD and add a boot entry for Windows XP to the Windows 7 boot manager;

EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies would be your answer, it provides a graphical front end to the BCDEdit Command line that makes it easy for you to define start-up settings and edit boot entries on the new Windowsboot manager. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

------------------------------------------

The next step now is make it possible for Windows 7 to boot in IDE mode.

Here are the instructions for doing that:

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html

Welcome all , so let me explain I installed Windows 7 With AHCI set from Bios , but after that i wanted to use ide (becose it boots faster) and when i set Ide from Bios , the windows 7 loading screan camed upp and BSOD (Blue screen of death) with an error code 0x0000005B , i tryed the regedit trick by setting in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci" and then in the right pan the START value from 0 i set it to 1 and it supposed to be working but it was a failiure , it still did the Bsod and i was so **** of , i wanted to make it work ... AND I DID IT !

Here are the pases :
1) I assume u have installed Windows Vista or Windows 7 with AHCI set from BIOS !
2) Download my registry fix (to add the ide keys to regeditor) simply apply the key
3) Now the manually regedit part Go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStor
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStorV

And in thease three keys in the right pan u will find a key named "START" change at all three (Msahci,iaStor,iaStorV) values from 0 To 1
Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_PciIde
,then change the start value to "0"

4) Now u are allmost done , restart your computer/laptop , and go to Bios and set from AHCI to IDE !!! , save settings in Bios and restart

5)Windows will be loading , and VOILA !!! NO BSOD !!! , windows Vista/Seven will install new Ide drivers and u will see in windows device manager that you dont have AHCI drivers anymore , u have Ide drivers !
6)It will prompt for another restart , just restart it and u will be happy

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1) Remove all the data from the 1st partition on your "Transcend storage disk".

2) Change the volume name on the 1st partition to "Win XP" so its easy to identify during the XP install process.

3) Following the instruction listed here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
(Read each option / method in this article and see which matches your needs)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

As always, with a major undertaking such as this create an image backup of your entire hard drive (to an external USB drive) first.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In order to use winxp you need a full retail version of winxp.

If you have win7 pro or ultimate you can install virtual winxp from MS and install the scanner in that environment.

Having said that using virtual winxp for your scanner, or the method you have mentioned, will be a painful experience, and as such you would be better off buying a new scanner or all in one printer

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 135 Applies to: