How to install Windows 7 (fully paid for)__

I have purchased Windows 7, but after many hours of trying and searching I cannot find clear instructions how to download it to my other computer dedicated for the purpose.
In the OVERVIEW I was advised to download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool, which I did. Following that it says:
"To create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive, download the ISO file and then run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. Once this is done, you can install Windows 7 directly from the USB flash drive or DVD."
There is no indication whatsoever where the ISO file could be downloaded from.
When one opens up the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool, it asks for the location of the ISO file and since I haven't got one, I can get no further.
I telephoned the helpline number 0044 870 60 10 100, stated on the very same document, where I was met with options after options and given an another telephone number. Calling that number a woman with Chinese accent rolls off options after options which are difficult, if not impossible to understand.
Please advise,
Tom

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2019 Views 41,105 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
1. You will need to use an additional Microsoft command-line tool, called Oscdimg.
    Details here
    Download
here

Download the .zip file and extract it. Then cut and paste the Oscdimg.exe file into your C:\Windows\System32 directory

2. You now need to start up your command prompt, which can be done by Start->Run then enter 'cmd' into the prompt.

3. You should now have the command prompt open, now you need to use the Oscdimg tool to create the image, by entering the following:
   Oscdimg.exe -u2 -bC:\<YOUR DIR> \expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h C:\<YOUR DIR> \expandedSetup C:\<YOUR DIR> \Win7.iso

For example: Oscdimg.exe -u2 -bC:\Users\James\Downloads\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h C:\ Users\James\Downloads \expandedSetup C:\ Users\James\Downloads
\Win7.iso

It will now scan the source tree then begin creating the image. PLEASE note: you must replace '<YOUR DIR> ' appropriatly as to where you have downloaded the files.

4. You should now have an image file, called Win7.iso, in the same directory.

PowerISO (You dont need the paid version to burn the image)

Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.