• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

How exactly does Windows 7 Retail vs OEM

X-RaNgEr asked on
Hi All,
I don't fully understand how Windows 7 Retail vs OEM.   What I understand is OEM is locked to one computer. AKA Mac address or
BIOS, not sure. However, what happens when my the Intel motherboard fails or I decide to upgrade my system motherboard included, which I like do on a regular basic. Is the OEM version still locked to the original motherboard and if it fails I must purchase a new OEM copy of Windows 7?  Or can it truly be relicensed, if only one copy if active?  Is there a method for doing so?   It is still a Full Windows 7 license, which I paid for. Can I just replace the motherboard and reinstall it?   I don't care about Windows Support, or the box.

With Windows XP Professional OEM, I was able to reinstall if my motherboard was changed out (I must of changed motherboard 10 times in 10 years) or if I upgraded my hard drives.  Reinstall required a phone call and explainiation, however, it was never a problem.

Good FAQ here, but doesn't answer my question.
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/18233-oem-vs-retail-war.html

Thanks for your response I am sure others would like to know and understand this situation.

Jay

130 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Carey Frisch replied on
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer
2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
However, what happens when my the Intel motherboard fails or I decide to upgrade my system motherboard included, which I like do on a regular basic. Is the OEM version still locked to the original motherboard and if it fails I must purchase a new OEM copy of Windows 7?

It is simply tied to that motherboard and becomes non transferable, the minute you installed and activated the license.
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress