how do i stop windows 10 upgrade (downloading)

Im using windows 7 on the desktop and laptop which i like and i dont want windows 10 at this point in time.. but it keeps trying to download after my 2 year old son went all sugar happy crazy on my laptop.

I tried uninstalling the update KB3035583 which did remove the update icon on the bottom of the screen, but whenever i start up the laptop, its starts to download windows 10. I have to manually cancel the download which is fine. However, when i try to update windows 7 with its latest updates, windows 10 wants download as well. This is happening even if i uncheck windows 10 as an optional download.

Anyone got answers.
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello smc007

Should have canceled reservation before removing KB3035583.

Remove these updates also

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-offer/38360122-32c9-41c3-90dc-191d38b18609

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have advised my clients to do what I have dreaded doing for years -- turn off Automatic Windows Update. 

The problem is compounded by an incessant drive by Microsoft to install Windows 10 on your computer without your permission.  They keep re-installing KB3035583 (that is the enabler) on your computer, even if you uninstall it.  The result is the huge download and then constant nags without an apparent way to say no.

So I have advised my clients to shut down WU.  Once a month on the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then to reject specific updates like KB3035583.  Then update.  WU remains on NEVER.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 file. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer by now anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

If you are using windows 7, and have not installed win10 and do not want it, here is a procedure that I have used many times and it works. 

1. Take Windows Update off automatic -- Never check

2. Task Manager, processes, find and end GWX.exe

3. Control Panel, Uninstall a program, View installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right

4. Now, search for KB3035583, uninstall it

5. Restart the PC

6. Disk cleanup, do the 2nd step for System -- this takes a while

7. You should find a Temporary Installation file there that is anywhere from 4 to 8 Gigabytes.  It is the Win10 downloaded file. Put a check mark on that item.

8. OK, Delete Files

9. Restart

10. The startup will take a long time while it finishes cleanup

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How to cancel your Windows 10 reservation.

1) Click on the White GWX icon located on the right hand side of the taskbar

2) Next click the Hamburger menu located in the upper left corner and in the 'Getting the upgrade' list of option, select 'View confirmation'

3) Now in the lower left , click on 'Cancel reservation' and when prompted to verify that you really want to cancel, click on 'Cancel reservation' button.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The result is the huge download and then constant nags without an apparent way to say no.

You can say no by removing the updates, then manually search for updates and hide KB3035583. Any ones you don't want. You could leave auto update on that way.

This is not a feature in Windows 10. (/)

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you leave updates set to auto, it will download KB3035583 again and again with no limit. There is no way to stop it, other than to set updates to Never.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you ever so much everyone!  I had a problem with Win10 download back in early August.  The download effectively stopped everything on my office desktop computer.  I did want Win10..  I did not realize what it amounted to Mb size.  I tried to stop it, delay it, postpone the dang thing.  Nothing worked.  I had to use my trusty old (2010) laptop to continue business.

I tried  to download Win10 one rainy day..  It took all afternoon, and I was shown over 6 reasons why it could not be installed.   I tried again, a few days later and blew off another entire afternoon.  That time, it worked!!  Installation went well and I had Windows 10!  I like it so far, after about one month.  I'm not going to install it  on my other Windows 7 computer.  I have to have something I can depend on.

The point I need to make is that you cannot go away after you start the download...  You really have to be hands and eyes ready to respond to stuff that pops up!  ..Just like business.  Thanks again.  Terry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did  you  ever  get  an answer?    |This is now  Mar 8, 2016  and I am having the same problem  but cannot get an answer.  

Thanks...  @Comcast.net

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

JoAnn,

Is Windows 10 trying to download when you run Windows Update or is it that you want to get rid of the GWX Icon and notices on the taskbar.

How to remove the Get Windows 10 (GWX Icon) from the taskbar

The easy way is to use GWX Stopper: http://news.softpedia.com/news/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-for-ever-with-gwx-stopper-490567.shtml

Manually, Step by Step:

1) Verify that KB3035583 and KB2952664 for Windows 7 or for Windows 8.1 KB3035583 and KB2976978 are installed.

2) Open Windows Update as follows:

Windows 7: Click on ‘Start’ / Control Panel / Windows Updates and in the bottom left corner click on the ‘Installed Updates’ link.

Windows 8.1: Right click on ‘Start’ / Control Panel / Windows Updates and in the bottom left corner click on the ‘Installed Updates’ link.

In the upper right corner there is a ‘Search Installed Update’ box. Enter the appropriate pair of KB numbers (one at a time) for your version of Windows. Example: KB3035583

Right click on each of the 2 updates to un-install them.

2) Open Windows ‘Task Scheduler’ (Start / Computer / Manage) and navigate to:

Computer Management / System Tools / Task Scheduler / Task Scheduler Library / Microsoft / Windows / Application Experience

3) Right click on ‘Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser’ and select the ‘Delete’ option.

4) Open Windows Explorer (File Explorer in Windows 8.1) and navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\GWX folder. Right click on the GWX.exe file and delete it.

??

Note: Steps 2, 3 and 4 may not be required but are provided to insure there are no remnants of GWX still on your computer.

5) Manually run Windows update and hide the two updates: KB3035583 and KB2952664 for Windows 7 or (KB3035583 and KB2976978 for Window 8.1 ) so they don't get automatically reinstalled.

6) Restart your computer, the GWX icon should be gone.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Im using windows 7 on the desktop and laptop which i like and i dont want windows 10 at this point in time.. but it keeps trying to download after my 2 year old son went all sugar happy crazy on my laptop.

I tried uninstalling the update KB3035583 which did remove the update icon on the bottom of the screen, but whenever i start up the laptop, its starts to download windows 10. I have to manually cancel the download which is fine. However, when i try to update windows 7 with its latest updates, windows 10 wants download as well. This is happening even if i uncheck windows 10 as an optional download.

Anyone got answers.
The same for me, my windows 7 suits me very well and all I can see at the moment, we are being forced to have this upgrade, even if not requested! My dear friend upgraded his laptop and now is flooded with problems. Half of his stuff got messed up. Fine if you want it, but Microsoft, please don't force this dammed annoying upgrade, expecially as we now can't update windows 7 because of this  one. Why not give a complete option to cancel it outright?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is the answer and it works. This assumes you have NOT allowed Win10 to be already installed or started.

Follow these instructions exactly as they are written.  If you find any of it confusing, respond and I will make it clearer.  If you choose to just pick and choose the pieces listed, it will not solve your problem:

Prevent Windows 10

If you do not want Windows 10 and wish to prevent it from being installed on your computer, follow this exactly as laid out.  I have done this on 150 client computers and it works flawlessly, and has continued to that since Spring, 2015.

Once you have followed the procedure below, and set Windows update to NEVER, once a month, start Windows Update manually, check for updates.  When you get the list of “important” updates, right-click and choose hide to EVERY update in the Windows grouping that does not describe itself as Security.  Allow the Malicious software removal tool or any C++ updates.  Do not use ANY optional updates or place a checkmark in any unchecked updates.  Proceed to update.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

March 3, 2016

Be advised that Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January, 2020.  Most of your current computers will last that long.

The Windows 10 installation promises to allow return to Windows 7 within 30 days.  That return process is flawed and sometimes requires re-installation of Windows 7.  For some owners without a re-usable Microsoft product key or a factory restore partition on their computers, it results in a useless thing that used to be a computer.

A lot of people have tried Windows 10 and decided they want their Windows 7 back.  If you are one of those, once you have Windows 7 back, you will need to take steps to keep it that way.

A lot of people have Windows 7 and are quite happy with it and do not want to change their systems to Windows 10, and simply do not want the hassle of being constantly asked to make this change.

You must adopt a protective stance to prevent your Windows 7 system from becoming something you do not want.

I advise my clients to change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday, they will get an email from me advising to manually start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates will be applied.  In all of 2015, not a single update that was not security, was something that improved Windows 7.

Some may feel uncomfortable with the setting — NEVER.  Well you needn’t be.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It does NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true Woody calls the Windows 10 download “crapware.”  Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

If you see the Windows flag on the bottom right of your screen, chances are pretty high, your computer already has the Win10 files. Even if you do not, it may be on your computer shortly anyway.  Here are instructions on how to rid yourself of it:

First download and run GWX Control panel.  A free app:  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove any of Microsoft’s installed or attempts to install spyware.  The following process will remove those features which you do not need.

This process works, but it only works if you do all the steps and do them in order.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates
  2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right
  3. Now, search for each of the listed updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time.
  4. If there are others you want to uninstall, click Later
  5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed, enter another KB number.
  6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process.   Hiding accomplishes nothing.

This is more than annoying.  It goes way beyond that.  It is underhanded, dishonest and just plain wrong for Microsoft to do this.  There is no offer to accept or refuse.  There is no informed consent.  There is not even an idea of what it is your getting and what the result is if you change your mind.

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3021917
KB3075249
KB3080149
KB3083710
KB3083324
KB3090045
KB3112343
KB3123862
KB3022345
KB3068708

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2021 Views 12,991 Applies to: