From what I am reading, If I buy a full retail version of windows 7, I am not eligible for the $14.95 upgrade to windows 8 in about 6 months time.

I am about to purchase a computer with 16GB of memory. I am of course going to need a 64 bit OS, seems like a good time to switch to windows 7 from XP. But windows 7 appears to have a very short shelf life. The OEM version is eligible for a $14.95 upgrade download offer to windows 8 which appears due first quarter 2013,  but it appears that the retail version is not eligible for this offer? Like many people I do not upgrade OS every time one is released. But why would i want to pay for an OS that is superseded in 6 months time?

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 86 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Huh?

The 14.99 discount is a limited time offer when you purchase a new computer between June 2nd 2012 and January 31, 2013 with Windows 7. By October 26th 2012, PC's from all the major manufacturers will come preloaded with Windows 8. The thing, there is likely to be inventory on the market with Windows 7 for a while from name brand OEM's. If a consumer buys one of these, they should have the eligibility for the Windows 8 upgrade.

Of course, you can purchase the new computer with Windows 7 preloaded, acquire the Windows 8 Upgrade when becomes availalable and install it at your leisure and activate it whenever you are ready.

Yes, the retail version of Windows 7 is not eligible for the discounted 14.99 upgrade, but you can get a discounted copy of Windows 8 Pro for 39.99 starting October 26th 2012 and ending January 31, 2013.

Windows 8 Upgrade Offer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/upgrade-offer

Windows 8 Pro 39.99 Upgrade existing Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 users:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.