Q: Error: "Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001."

When I try to install Windows 7 on my formatted Toshiba computer I receive this error message after attempting to install the RAID driver during the setup process:

"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001"

I am unable to proceed with the installation. Can someone please help?

Hi Jon,

This error can appear during a clean installation of Windows 7 when the operating system install media is not in the drive. This typically occurs when a user is required to exchange disks in order to install required drivers on the system and the operating system disks were not placed back in the drive before proceeding with the install. 

The error would not occur if setup was started using a USB memory stick since the isntall media would not be switched.
The solution would be to change the driver CD or DVD to the Windows 7 install media DVD when this occurs so we can continue with the Windows 7 setup. In this particular situation it is likely that the RAID driver disk was left in the drive.

Note: This issue/error occurred less in Windows Vista since a message prompting for the install media was usually displayed similar to this:

"Please insert Windows installation disc 1"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

216 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 165,189 Last updated: March 16, 2018 Applies to: