Error code 0x80070570 when installing Windows 7 for the first time.

When I attempt to install Windows 7 on my new computer I receive the error code 0x80070570 when it gets to the expanding windows files stage. I also receive the message "The file or directory D:/$secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.". I've tried formating, switching the sata ports the hard drive is plugged into, and switching the onboard device mode from sata to ahci and raid with no success. It is a 64 bit edition of Windows 7 Home Premium.

My computer specs:
*Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
*G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
*Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
*SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity
*EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
*NZXT LEXA BlackLine Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
*MSI 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DH-24AAS-17 R
*Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders
*Antec TruePower 750W PSU56615420 56615420 5 56615420 5 566 56615420 56615420

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 181,373 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Error 0x80070570. Can be caused my different problems.

1) (Looks like you already did this one.)
This is common for a Dell computer, but can happen on non Dell computers. It appears that the built-in SATA drivers aren't recognized during the Windows 7 extraction portion of setup (when your BIOS is set with RAID Autodetect/AHCI).  This can work for Dell PC and a non Dell computer:

Note: you should install the latest BIOS update from Dell's support.dell.com website first, or your manufacturers website for a non-Dell computer.

1. Boot into the BIOS (for Dell press F2 while the Dell splash screen is showing, other computers may use a different button).
2. Go to Drives > SATA Operation. (will be different for a non-Dell)
3. Change from "RAID Autodetect / AHCI" to "RAID Autodetect / ATA" (or something similar)
4. Press escape, choose Save / Exit.

Play it safe, shut down your PC and disconnect all USB devices (except the keyboard/mouse) before trying to reinstall.

2) Another reason is there sometimes are folders on your C: drive starting with $ (dollar sign).  Delete those and the problem may be resolved.  Make sure you show hidden and system files in windows explorer options.

3) This can also sometimes be caused by bad RAM, you can use the memory test feature on the Windows 7 DVD.

4) This error might also occur if the hardware is not compatible, you may check if your computer meets the hardware requirements for Windows 7 from the two links below:

Windows 7: System Requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

Windows Upgrade Advisor:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

5) If the above doesn't work run chkdsk in Windows Recovery Environment [RE] which might help to fix the issue. You can access Windows RE using the Windows 7 installation disc or a system repair disc you created earlier. To use this method, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the disc.

1. Insert the disc.
2. Restart your computer using the computer's power button.
3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
• If your computer isn't configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.
4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
5. If you are using the Windows installation disc, click Repair your computer.
6. Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click command prompt to open it.
8. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /F /R
9. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Refer the link: What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

95 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.