Does Windows 7 Home Premium come with only one language?

First off: I know that *after* you've installed it, you can't change language in Windows 7 Home Premium - but do you have a choice between different languages *during* the installation?

The thing is, I bought a computer from an online store and they sent me a computer with a Windows 7 Home Premium that was Danish (I'm Swedish). When I emailed them, they claimed that I had installed the OS in Danish myself. This seemed strange, since I received no Windows 7 CD or DVD or anything along with the computer - so I can't really see how I could have "installed" the OS myself. Certainly, it was installed by the vendor before delivery to me. Now, there *were* some options and installation processes during the initial start-up of the computer that haven't been required in subsequent start-ups - so I guess the end user is left to finalize the installation himself/herself.

However, I recall no choice of language during this initial start-up, and I sure as **** wouldn't have chosen Danish had the option appeared. Everything in this "special" start-up was in DOS style graphics and in English, until I hit the Windows log-in screen - which was in Danish. Needless to say I was very confused.

Of course, I didn't contact the vendor myself until I had exhausted all my powers trying to change the language into Swedish myself... to no avail. Despite the fact that display language, keyboard language time zone and location are all set to Swedish, all Windows menus and programs are still in Danish. When I emailed them they claimed I had chosen Danish myself (as mentioned earlier) and they told me that I should download a program called Vistalizator (which I know isn't a Microsoft program) and use it to "hack" Windows and change the language.

I got very suspicious and suspect that they have knowingly or unknowingly sent me a Danish version of Windows and just don't want to replace the article. My question is not HOW do I change language in Windows 7 Home Premium (I know it isn't possible without that "hack" program). No, my question is this: Is it as the vendor claims, that Windows 7 Home Premium is delivered with *several* languages (i.e. Danish and Swedish) but you get to choose during the initial start-up which of all these language you want to use, and *then* you can't change it ever again?

Or is it as I have suspected, that there is no choice of language during the initial start-up of the computer, and that this vendor has simply sent me a Danish version of Windows (that was and always will remain Danish) that they're trying to persuade me to "hack" to turn Swedish? Thank you in advance for your answer. Best regards, Simon Viklund, Sweden

|
Answer
Answer

Simon,

Do you want to switch between multiple languages or do you just want to have one language installed, in this case English?

If you want to have multiple languages with the ability to switch between them on demand, then you need to do an Anytime Upgrade Ultimate.

Windows 7 - Anytime Upgrade features:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Windows 7 - version comparisons:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

If you are in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, and the US you can use Anytime Upgrade. If not you will need to buy the version of Windows 7 you want.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

If all you need is English Language, then, I would suggest you download a Windows 7 Home Premium English .ISO, burn it to a blank DVD disc and do a custom clean install.

Windows 7 (English) with Service Pack 1

Windows 7 Home Premium (x86) - X17-58996

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) - X17-58997

ImgBurn - In addtion to supporting the creation of CD's from .ISO files,
it supports a wide range of other image file formats, and it's free.
(BIN, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, MDS, NRG, PDI and ISO)
http://www.imgburn.com/

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

Note: Always use the slowest burn speed (4x or 2x) if offered a choice.

The only time you get to select a language during Windows 7 setup if it came pre-installed on your computer is if you live in a bi-lingual country such as Canada where they speak either French or English:

What TrekDozer is still confusing is this screen, which is only for localization purposes which described earlier that you get when you are installing Windows from scratch:

This screen will not allow you to choose a different language.

Again, if you install Windows 7 from scratch, you only get one language.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2020 Views 10,067 Applies to: