Question

Q: Clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 without install disk.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Toshiba notebook with a preloaded version of Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.  It did not come with a Windows installation disk.  I want to reformat the hard drive and put a clean version of the same os on.   Right now my only solution is to find someone with a disk,  or an iso.  Which is proving more difficult than I thought.   Is it possible to make an image of Win 7 from Win 7 without having to make an image?

I also own a copy of Windows 7 pro x64.  Can I use this disk to install,  with the Win 7 Home Premium key?

Thanks

FatherFinch

Answer

A:

You need to contact Toshiba about obtaining a Recovery Disk set.

Toshiba recovery disk:
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/Recovery-media/m-p/9148#U9148

You cannot use a Windows 7 Professional disk because the Home Premium key is OEM which coded to work with a OEM Home Premium installation in addition to the obvious difference in editions.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

If you wish to perform a "clean install" of Windows 7 Home Premium, you'll need to purchase Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  Using someone else's Windows 7 disc is not permitted under the terms of the Microsoft Softrware License Agreement.

Q.  I also own a copy of Windows 7 pro x64. Can I use this disk to install, with the Win 7 Home Premium key?

A.  No

Carey Frisch

Windows Expert - Consumer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 35,606 Last updated: May 25, 2018 Applies to: