Can't install DirectX 11 [repair] - error creating process - Reason: advpack.DLL

I'm trying to install/repair DirectX 11 on my Windows 7 system.

I realize that DirectX comes with Windows 7, but I'm trying to install another Microsoft package [Microsoft Windows Essentials] and its reporting [via log files] that DirectX is  the issue. 

I have tried the web installer; it doesn't fix the issue.

DirectX installer [web]
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

When I attempt to run the installation, I get an error.

According to the SFC.EXE /scannow — all my files are good.

Things I have checked

• Current on system patches/updates
  • Current video drivers 
  • msconfig to disable all other applications [bare minimum]

Please advise/suggestions?

Answer
Answer

Smitty,

I WAS using the latest one, 2012; not 2011.

The truth is my system was only a few weeks old and Microsoft Windows Essentials was one of the first applications installed on my system. I use it for Windows Movie Maker and Windows Live Writer and support other users in the [Microsoft] support forums here.

Nothing I have found on the Internet, nor any help I have gotten from the Microsoft forums has been able to tell me why a simple upgrade of this software completely hosed my installation. It's depressing to think about. 

I did as you asked on the other tasks, I did the safe reboot and scanned for malware; nothing— nothing at all. I did the SFC no corrupt files, the registry was apparently good from the FIXIT application and I checked the security on all my files; I had complete rights to the files.

I can't count how many times I rebooted. And I had literally uninstalled all other software until I was left with just a few small applications for basic stuff. 

So while I was trying to avoid reloading my operating system; last night, that's what I did. I reloaded Windows 7 Pro, installed my anti-virus and loaded Microsoft Windows Essentials 2012 [February 2014]; flawless installation.

Finally, in the worst possible way, the longest way possible and the most inconvenient way to fix any software problem - I FIXED IT.

I appreciate all you help, the help from the other Microsoft support engineer [Ramesh], until he up and stopped responding. But the 'end all be all' solution for this event seems to have been to just say FRAG IT! and reload the operating system; even though I was only using about 50Gb of a 1Tb hard drive; and that's just sad.

Later,
Larry

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2024 Views 15,961 Applies to: