cannot download updates

Have not been able to download updates since May.  Is Microsoft preventing this from taking place?  Due, possibility of trying to coerce people into downloading Windows 10!  Has anyone else experienced this please?  As this has not been a problem until this upgrade came along.

Does anyone know of any other reasons why all of a sudden, these Updates cannot be downloaded?

Have carried out the usual checks, but to no avail.  Or, is the best way is to wait until August and then try once Windows 10 free download is out of the way?

Thank you,  yours, dickens.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2018 Views 1,378 Applies to:

I share your feelings about Windows Update.  However, let’s get things up and running again.

II have updated at least 25 computers in the last week or so and it took less than 30 minutes for each to complete the process.  Here is what I did:

Make certain your computer is not busy.  Do that by bringing up Task Manager.  If the %  CPU in use isn't around 10%, it's busy doing something.  It could well be that it is still trying to run Windows Update in the background.

Start Windows update and change the setting to NEVER, and by the way, keep it that way for the foreseeable future.  Close Windows Update.

Type services in the text box above the start globe.  Select Services.  Find Windows Update in the list.  Right-click and choose Stop.

go to this web site:  http://wu.krelay.de/en/2016-07.htm There you will find a set of 5 updates.  Download and store each of them in a folder on your desktop.  Close your browser

Now, install each of them.  It could well be that any or many of them will be reported as already installed.  That's OK.  After installing each of these manual updates, restart the computer.

After the restart, start Windows Update.  When the list comes up 5 minutes later, choose the updates you want and proceed to update.

Here is my advice on how to prevent Win10 from invading your space.  It works well on all 150 of my client computers.

Prevent Windows 10

If you do not want Windows 10 and wish to prevent it from being installed on your computer…..

Once you have followed the procedure below, and set Windows update to NEVER, once a month, start Windows Update (WU) manually, check for updates.  When you get the list of “important” updates, right-click and choose hide on EVERY update in the Windows grouping that does not describe itself as Security.  Allow the Malicious software removal tool or any C++ updates.  Do not use ANY optional updates or place a checkmark in any unchecked updates.  Proceed to update.

Microsoft has committed to support Windows 7 until at least January 14, 2020.

A lot of people have tried Windows 10 and decided they want their Windows 7 back.  If you are one of those, once you have Windows 7 back, you will need to take steps to keep it that way.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043656/microsoft-windows/first-aid-for-forced-windows-10-upgrades.html

Change the Windows Update Setting to Never check for updates.  Once a month, about 2 days after the 2nd Tuesday, start WU and then hide every update except for ones specifically labeled Security.  In other words, only security updates should be applied.  In all of 2015 and since, there was not a single update that  improved Windows 7 other than fixing security issues.

Some may feel uncomfortable with the setting — NEVER.  Well you needn’t be.  Never means you are never giving Microsoft a chance to decide what you download and install.  It should NOT mean you will never update.  The difference is that now you take control and the responsibility of updating of Windows and Office.

Read Woody Leonhard (one of the most respected writers in the trade)  http://www.infoworld.com/article/2983777/microsoft-windows/how-to-clean-the-windows-10-crapware-off-your-windows-7-or-81-pc.html?nsdr=true   Woody’s advice is that if you have Windows 7, keep it, you are better off by far.

First download and run GWX Control panel.  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/  It will allow you to prevent any future operating system upgrades and delete downloaded Win10 files, but it will not remove all of Microsoft’s spyware that is already installed on your computer.

The following process will remove those features which you do not need.

1. Take Windows Update off automatic — Never check for updates

2. Windows Update, Installed updates, WAIT a long time till you see the green bar complete its long trip to the right

3. Now, search for each of the listed (below) updates, uninstall them.  You must wait until the list is re-created each time. You need to wait till you see the number at the bottom of the search window exceed a few hundred.

4. You do not need to restart after each uninstall, click later, until you are done.

5. Then, clear the search box and after the list is again displayed (the number at the bottom again exceeds several hundred), enter another KB number.

6. Restart the PC.  It may take a long time to process this.

If you choose “check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them”, Microsoft will download “important” updates like KB3035583 to your computer.  It will be pre-checked — selected.  Unless you check Windows Update (WU) and discover this BEFORE you shut down, it will install it during the shut-down process. 

List of updates that if already installed should be removed:

KB3035583
    KB2952664
    KB2977759
    KB3021917
    KB3075249
    KB3080149
    KB3173040
    KB3163589
    KB3090045
    KB3081954
    KB3123862
    KB3150513
    KB3022345
    KB3081954
    KB3068708

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This answer was very helpful.  But, is Microsoft changing my settings?  As I have set the up-date settings to 'never' only to find this has been changed when I check later.   Add to this, the wretched updates still refuse to download.  Just what is going on now that Windows 10 is on the market? 

As it is, I have an excellent Anti-Virus system set-up which rings alrm bells if something naughty is about to take place.  So, rather than waste further time, maybe one should just ignore these up-dates? 

When I change my computor, some time in the future, I will be seriously looking towards a different Company.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect you antivirus software is changing your Windows Update settings.  That design is based on a philosophy that had good standing up to about a year ago.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Canadian Tech. 

If this were so, then why is my Anti Virus not able to download updates after a scan?

As I said earlier,  better not to waste any more time and just trust my Anti Virus to do its' task.

But thank you for your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.