Can I install Windows 7 64 bit version over Windows XP SP2?

I have Windows XP SP2 installed on my computer. I want to buy Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to install it on the same computer.

First question: Can I do it?

Second one: It's better to use XP Virtual Mode?

Thanks a lot!!!

Answer
Answer
I have Windows XP SP2 installed on my computer. I want to buy Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to install it on the same computer.

First question: Can I do it?

If your computer can run 64bit - yes.

Custom Clean Install Steps

Times to use:
Moving from XP to Windows 7, or other unsupported in place upgrade paths (ex: Vista Home to 7 Pro)
Moving from a 32 bit Windows system to a 64 bit system, or changing languages
Don't want to do an in place upgrade, or you want a fresh/clean install

You can use an Upgrade or Full Windows 7 disk to do a custom clean install. This will remove all your programs, but you can save your files and settings to an external storage before doing so. You will have to reinstall all your programs after installing Windows 7. Here are the steps:

1. Run Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if there are any known issues that might affect the installation and whether you can install the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

2. Back up your files and settings. To avoid losing anything you'll need to save copies of all the files, photos, and other information you want to keep on to an external storage device. Windows Easy Transfer is a free tool you can use to copy your files (but not programs) from your PC, and then transfer them back after you install Windows 7. If you don't want to use Windows Easy Transfer, you can copy the files you want to keep on a USB flash drive, or on CD/DVD.
http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-easy-transfer

3. Locate the original installation disks and any associated product/license keys for the programs currently on your computer because you'll need to manually reinstall all your programs after you install Windows 7. Depending on what you have installed you might be able to download some programs from the Internet.

4. Inset the Windows 7 DVD into your PC. When asked "Which type of installation do you want? click "Custom (advanced)." Note: 32 to 64 bit requires you to restart and boot from the DVD.

5. After Windows 7 is installed you can use Windows Easy Transfer (or another backup method you used) to restore your files & settings, and use your installation disks to reinstall all your programs. Then you're done - enjoy Windows 7.

Second one: It's better to use XP Virtual Mode?

You'll need to be more specific - what are you asking?

If you have Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate you can download and install Windows XP Mode. XP Mode is a Virtual installation of XP that runs at 32 bit inside Windows 7. It's similar to a normal installation of XP with a few exceptions: only uses a single CPU core, only has access to USB and serial ports, DVD access is read only, limited to 16-bit graphics (3D games don't play well).

XP Mode main page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

If your computer does not support virtualization there is an update that will allow XP Mode to run without virtualization. You can check if your PC hardware doesn't support virtualization and needs the update by downloading and running this tool:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163321

If you need to enable hardware virtualization on your computer:
1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS settings.
2. Look for the virtualization setting in BIOS and enable it.
3. Save the BIOS settings and then restart your computer.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 17, 2019 Views 2,424 Applies to: