BSOD error 0x7B after changing motherboard

Hi,

I have bought a new motherboard + CPUs + RAM last week and I am fighting to get my Windows to start again .....

I have tried a lot of things and yesterday I managed to access the Safe Mode....

So in safe mode , drivers have been installed. Except for USB mass storage because USBSTOR.SYS was the cause of a Black screen error message, so I've manage to rename it to usbstor.sys.old ....

Anyway, 99% of drivers of my new motherboard seem to be installed ....

Now when I try to boot I get a Blue screen :

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .....

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives .....

Technical information

*** STOP : 0X0000007B (....

Answer
Answer
Hi,

Motherboard is obviously not 100% identical though it might be the same model.

Install the latest BIOS and chipset drivers from the motherboard maker. If that does not help you will need to clean install Windows.

Read these :

Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559218(v=vs.85).aspx

Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/Check-for-viruses-on-your-computer-0x0000007B-*1138.html?order=votes

That Bug_Check is usually FATAL. There is no point in trying to analyze the minidump because the root cause is the hardware change.

Sorry it not better news.

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
It is rare that an existing Windows installation runs on a different motherboard, even if the new board appears to be the same as the old one. You will probably have to reinstall Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 27, 2019 Views 626 Applies to: