\boot\bootsect.exe is not a valid win32 application

I am currently running windows xp pro 32 bit OS. Also in my possession is a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system's ISO file. My goal is to start the installation of WINDOWS ULTIMATE 64 BIT through a USB pen drive. I finally found a promising link via google search. ( http://www.bwana.org/2009/01/11/how-to-install-windows-7-beta-from-a-usb-drive-to-an-hp-mini-1000-without-vista/ ) I managed to get through till the 12th step. In the 13th step, I am stuck. I get the error -k:\boot\bootsect.exe is not a valid win32 application as I am running a 32 bit OS.Is there anyway to get through this?

Few sites offer a free download of a 32 bit version of Windows 7's bootsect.exe. Should I replace my 64 bit bootsect.exe(present in my original Win7x64Ultimate ISO file) with a 32 bit one and create an ISO file with the rest of the files intact, will I be able to get through the 13th step?

Also, I have 5 drives in "My Computer". All of them partitioned using the NTFS file system. My XP Pro 32 bit is in C: drive. I do not mind losing the data in C: as that is where I've planned to install win7 ultimate 64-bit. However, I do want the files in the other drives. My question is-"Will I be able to access those files in the other drives after installing win7 x64 in C: drive??"

A million thanks to any help.

Answer
Answer

If you bought Widnows 7 from the MS Store:

When creating a bootable USB device, I am getting an error about bootsect
To make the USB device bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This may happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:

1. Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history
  2. Look for your Windows 7 purchase.
  3. Next to Windows 7, there is an "Additional download options" drop-down menu.
  4. In the drop-down menu, select "32-bit ISO."
  5. Right-click the link, and then save the bootsect.exe file to the location where you installed the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (e.g. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool).
  6. Once the file has been saved, go back to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create your bootable USB device.

If you didn't - Instructions I was able to find:

Follow these instructions for getting around the bootsect error:

a. Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool program as indicated on theMicrosoft Store web site.

b. Download a working 32-bit version of bootsect.exe . Below is a link to 32 bit bootsect.exe:

bootsect7600x86.zip
From: http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54443-32-bit-bootsect.html

c. Once downloaded, copy the BootSect.exe file to the same folder that includes the installedWindows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe file. The default install directory of that file in Windows Vista isC:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool\ (you'll need to look for it in XP)

d. Run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool application as indicated on theMicrosoft Store web site. The end result will give you a bootable USB flash drive that contains everything you need to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2020 Views 34,932 Applies to: