Cannot complete upgrade from Win Vista Home Premium 64 to Win 7 Home Premium 64 using student offer, installation just stops at transferring files, settings and programs with no hd activity

I have trie upgrading my pc from Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 four seperate times, using Microsofts acedemic upgrade offer. I use the upgrade option in installation, have tried both "online get latest installations updates" and "do not get latest install updates" and my upgrade goes fine all the way to the end when it should be moving my files, settings, and programs over to Win 7  from Vista, this is after Win 7 has been installed at this point everything just stops, no hd activity, computer is not locked up though, caps lock still works, can move mouse, can even hit the x button in the installation window and get the message "installation cannot be canceled now...etc.", but the computer is not doing anything because no hd activity, I even left it on for 8 hours and no movement what so ever once it gets to this point. I ran Microsoft Windows Upgrade Advisor the downloadable one and the one Win 7 installation runs, and according to it everything should upgrade fine. I know this is extremely frustrating, I updated my drivers and everything yet it still get stuck at the end. I think doing a custom install would work, but I did not want to have to re-install everything, if I would have wanted to do a clean install, I would have purchased Win 7 Professional for the same price as Home premium, since it is the version I prefered, but just to lazy to re-install everything on my PC. The PC I am trying to install it on is a new system, just built in March of this year, Core i7 920 system, and I even took it back down to stock clock in the bios, just in case that was causing problems. Anyone have any ideas, besides doing a custom install?

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 509 Applies to:
Answer

Just an update, I downloaded the .iso from digital river and burned to disc. After that I shut off my real time virus protection in Microsoft security essentials and unhooked my Xbox 360 controller. After all this I tried to install from the disc and everything went smoothly, no hangs, transferred all files, programs, and settings with no problems, so now finally one of my PCs has Win 7 on it, now for the other three.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.