Windows 7 can't print to HP LaserJet 5P

I've spent about 5-6 hours on this, and am pulling my hair out...

I've got a new HP computer w/ W7 Home Premium 64 bit.  And I'm connecting my old LaserJet 5P via a parrallel line from the printer, to a male, 25 pin (DB25), that is plugged into a female DB25 parallel cable that has a USB on the other end. USB is connected to port on the new computer.   The Device area has it listed as only a "Unspecified" unknown device.

I started with W7's canned programs adding a printer, setting up devices, downloading drivers. Driver Updates.  When the test print did nothing, then I went onto trouble shooting.  When that went nowhere...

Then I went to HP, looked through many blogs/community help sites, and eventually used their tech support for BOTH the new computer area (had me re-do the canned parts, download drivers via Devices area, again, and when that failed (again) they suggested I call their "Commercial LaserJet" technician who said... "It's no longer supported." And if the driver you downloaded doesn't work, it's MS's problem, not ours.  Contact them." Which (eventually) leads me here.

I went thru the MS canned fix-its, and downloaded manually from HP's site (as opposed to the Devices automatic download/updates), only to get a message... "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver... the error occurred during installation, because it is either not digitally signed or not signed.  Contact your Hardware vendor (that would be HP, who doesn't support it)

So you get the picture... I working a pretzel here... MS says it's HP, HP says it's MS... and all I want is to use my printer that worked two weeks ago on my old Compaq!!! 

So, there was one HP clue that I found that seems like I might be closer to the problem  A .doc that said, look for a IEEE 1284 interface in your devices, and make sure there are no error codes.  So, I found IEEE 1394's or something like that (I'm not there now).  BUT no IEEE 1284's. Let alone error codes!

So, I got back in touch with HP service, and how do I get IEEE 1284 there instead.  They said they don't know, and it's a MS problem.

So,  with a little more digging, I found in "device manager" that I could add a IEEE 1284 printer... BUT the drag down list did not have the 5P. So close, but so far, and nothing to update, like in the other Device area..

So, I'm getting pretty frustrated that an HP printer can't work on an HP computer, even after downloading a driver from HP. Is this IEEEE 1284 something you can set up?

Any clues on how to fix this would be very, very much appreciated!!!

thanks,

DRJames

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2018 Views 62,605 Applies to:
Answer
A driver for the Laserjet 5P is availble on Windows Update. See Find and install printer drivers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.