I need help with planning my upgrade to Windows 7 from Windows XP Pro. Can I do this upgrade as a clean install using upgrade media if I've only got one hard drive?

I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP Professional and want to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 Professional.

My laptop only has one hard drive on it, so installing "fresh" to a separate HD isn't possible.  Since I already back up all my data to an external HD, I'd like to just format the internal HD and install Windows 7 onto that.

Will that be possible though using upgrade media?  How does it verify my existing XP Pro license?

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 701 Applies to:
Answer
No, there is not another way to authenticate your upgrade rights. At least no announced intention to do so from MS (The Springboard site is a good place to learn new things about Windows).

Your desire to format the drive, however is easy enough. You are going to have to go out of your way and authenticate XP first. You want to save the bucks, and this is how you are able to do it. If you want easy, get a new licensed version disk :).
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.