Windows 7 Upgrade Ultimate 64bit from Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit - Error with "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

I can see many posts for this problem, but the different solutions all confuse me. I am not a PC techie.

I was trying to run Windows 7 64bit ULTIMATE UPGRADE from Windows Vista 64bit HOME PREMIUM on my PC.  

Before I ran Windows 7 Upgrade using the 64bit disk I bought from a Retailer in Sheffield England, I checked on the Microsoft website and downloaded Windows Upgrade Advisor.

This reported a number of minor issues, which I dealt with. It did NOT report any issue with my motherboard or CD/DVD device.

I also downloaded Easy Transfer, but as I had recently rebuilt my PC I did not have many files to copy over so I have not yet used it.

I have now rolled back the install, after getting very frustrated trying to obtain the "driver"

Some of the postings on the web suggest:

buying an external USB CD/DVD device. I might do this and try again

Getting an update for ITE IT8211 ATA/ATAPI Controller driver - whatever that means?

A USB install option involving ripping the disk into a ISO image and then making a bootable USB stick.

Why on earth do I need to do this? Surely using a USB External DVD/CD device and putting into that the Windows 7 upgrade disk will do the same job?

More important what is an ISO image? How do I create it? Why should I have to do this?

This software has cost me GBP180.00 when I bought it from Currys Retail store Sheffield UK w/c Jun 21st 2010, and I cannot get it to work. It is not at all satisfactory! I deliberately waited till now before buying to make surea all the bugs were ironed out!! Obviously they are not!!

My PC was bought new from MESH in May 2009 and the build detail is:

Mesh Desktop PC model XGS PII 955

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Quad Core Processor AM3 3.20ghz, 8mb cache DDR2/3

ASUS M4A78-E Mainboard AMD 790GX Hybrid CrossFireX - AM2+ Phenom II, DDR2- ATX

8192MB 800Mhz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

2 x 750gb Serial ATA2 Hard drive with 3mb buffer (1.5TB) RAID 0 Configuration (Stripe)

Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM This shows in Device hardware as tsstcorp cddvdw sh-s223b scsi cdrom device. The driver is located in c:\windows\system32\Drivers\cdrom.sys

1GB ATi HD4890 Graphics Accelerator HD 3300 GPU - Hybrid CrossFire X

PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET 2 - ASUS M4A78 Pro

I will also try to call Microsoft Support on 0844 800 2400 using Access Code 1233 when prompted.

However, I wonder if anyone else who has had the same problem with a similar machine can advise how they sorted out the issue.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2018 Views 1,375 Applies to:
Answer
"quadnutter" wrote in message news:9e2bf11c-648f-4ff9-ae91-e63820d16230...

Not sure if this will work, but this is an example of the error I am getting. I found it on another website but the mesage is the same, if it shows on this post:

[IMG]http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-288308-1239879003.jpg[/IMG]

I think the first thing to try would be updating the firmware for the existing DVD drive -http://www.samsungodd.com/Eng/ - click on the Firmware link at the top of the page.
The latest version appears to be SB02 - dated July 2009 - which may have been specifically to address this issue, as it's late in the RC cycle for Win7.

HTH

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC
Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.