Win7 x64 boot disk results in "Missing CD/DVD device driver ("A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing)"

I'm doing a full install (custom) of Windows 7 from a NEC3520A Cd/DVD and a DVD burned from the downloaded (twice) student file for Windows 7 x64.

I am unable to get past the point of having "no apparent" driver for my DVD.

As stated earlier, after I click "Install" on initial screen (this is after the "loading files" screen which runs for a couple of minutes loading win7 files), I get an error screen saying "missing CD/DVD drive driver", then directions to install a disk/DVD/whatever with the driver.  If I just click next, it looks for a driver, doesn't find it, and then offers me a selection menu for different drivers( all of which are blank .. there are no drivers listed). I then have an option to "rescan" for updated hardware, I suppose, or "browse" to go find the driver.

I have, and can't get any sort of driver for my NEC3520, which I've been using for a couple of years now; it's supported directly by Windows built-in drivers.  NEC doesn't even provide a driver, for 32 or 64 or anything.

I suppose this whole thing has to do with my "custom" install from a bootable DVD of the x64 version, but I can't find any way to get around it.

Help!

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,823 Applies to:
Answer
No, Darkstar4471.  It WAS the download. It can't be the existing Vista system not having a valid serial number for several reasons: 1) I get the "invalid .iso file" error message from the USB/DVD burning tool when I try to BURN the DVD, long before I try to use it.  I do have a validly licensed copy of Vista 32, being a member of TechNet; there's no validation checking on the existing system when you BOOT from the DVD.  Any validation that happens occurs only after the booted PEE gets to actually doing its thing, which is long after its installing the various device drivers. (My system has passed the "validation tool" thing several times; it's been installed since 2007, I believe.  I really resent your implication of anything different).

After I finally got a good download (one that the Microsoft USB/DVD burn tool did not say was "invalid"), I burned a DVD with the MS tool and it installed successfully.  The problem of the bad download was aggravated by the fact that NERO would happily burn the .iso file with a bad download, where MS's tool wouldn't.

Hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
No, Matthew, the need for a driver is a red herring.  I've traced the actual problem to a failure of the DigitalRiver download manager to download a complete and useful .iso file (needed for clean install of x64 Windows 7 from my X32 Vista system).  Nero will happily burn the DVD, but it will not work.  Once I tried to burn it with Microsoft's tool, I was told by the tool that the .iso file was invalid.

There is now much about this problem in several of these topics and it relates to the fact that DigitalRiver's Download Manager just won't/can't reliably download the required .iso file.  I'm on my fifth attempt.  Each time, I get an .iso file of a different size, or the download manager goes "crazy" and says things like "-1934.26MB" have already been downloaded and then it just "pauses" and you can't successfully get it going again.

I've used GetRight for years so I'm not accustomed to having a download manager not do a successful download.  The technology for successful downloading from a download manager is OLD technology, so I'm further amazed that DigitalRiver would ship us a piece of junk like they've done.  Microsoft should really go to the trouble to look into the disaster caused by DigitalRiver's download nightmares; it's all over this Forum topic.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.