Windows 7600 not Genuine Error

I upgraded my HP pc I bought last November up to a heavier duty gaming pc in mid February.  I changed out the cheap OEM motherboard to a ASUS motherboard and added Crossfire ATI video cards as far as hardware goes.  I also put it in a new Gaming case.  The hard drive, memory, and sound card all stayed the same.

Everything switched over fine and had little installation problems.  Last night after about an hour on my pc a pop up came and said my version of Windows in not Genuine and my background turned black.  I was a bit bewildered and also a bit worried. 

The reason being I kept my old crappy HP case with the Windows ID sticker on it up until last week (of course) and tossed it out.  I figured there was no reason to keep it anymore since I haven't had any problems.  I'm prolly going to be kicking myself in the a** for that.  I should've at least kept the sticker I'm guessing.

Not knowing what was going on I ran a virus check just in case but nothing came up.  So now I'm here.  Why did it take over a month for the error to show up?  and is there anything I can do about it now being I don't have my windows 7 ID anymore?  I know that HP uses a different type set up for windows so they can use several ID's for the same copy.  I just hope there is something I can do.  Thanks.

Brad

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2018 Views 439 Applies to:
Answer

HP and other PC manufacture's use whats called an OEM product key. That OEM Key is tied to the motherboard that came with the computer and can not be installed on another PC or the same PC with a different motherboard.

Your only recourse now that you are using a new motherboard is to purchase a "Full" product version of Windows 7.

More than likely the new keycode will not activate the OEM install so you will need to re-install Windows.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.