Anytime upgrade not accepting academic key?

I just purchased a system today from the local store, and it came with windows 7 home premium (64). I have a cd for windows 7 professional (64) that I got through my college.

However, when I went to use the dvd to upgrade from windows 7 premium to professional it told me to use Windows Anytime Upgrade. But, when I do that and choose, "I have a key", then enter the key I have, it runs a bit and comes back with an error telling me that the key I have cannot be used for Anytime Upgrade... ? Why not? And if it can't then why can't I just do an upgrade from the cd? I know the key is valid, I got it from my college MSDNAA site.

And, yes, I have verified that I am typing the key correctly. I even tried copy and paste, but still no go.

What am I doing wrong, and what can I do to upgrade my Windows 7 home premium 64 to Windows 7 professional 64?

Thank you for any help and your time!

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,436 Applies to:
Answer
Just got off the phone with customer service. They said that the MSDNAA key is an Enterprise key and that I would not be able to upgrade using WAU with it. They did give me the number for MSDNAA help, they are only open M-F, though.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.