Upgrade Vista Business to Windows 7

I purchased a Pavillion Laptop dv9000 from HP with Windows Vista Business 32 bit.  I also purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (32 bit) from Microsoft, intending to use it on my desktop computer, but I bought a new desktop with windows 7 instead.  I want to upgrade the Windows Vista Business on my Laptop but the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade will not work with Vista business; i.e., I need Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate upgrade.  Already having an unused Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, what is the most economical way for me to upgrade my laptop to windows 7?

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 678 Applies to:
Answer

Upgrade paths:

When making significant changes to your computer such as an upgrade, it is always recommended you backup your system prior to installing a new version of Windows. In your case, you can upgrade to Windows 7 depending on edition and architecture of Windows Vista you have installed. If you are running a 32 bit version of Vista and want to upgrade to a 64 bit version (edition of Windows 7), you will have to a do clean install, this applies vice-versa.

If you are running consumer editions of Windows Vista such as Home Basic or Premium, you can only upgrade to either Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate. Also, you cannot do downgrades, which means, if you are running Windows Vista Ultimate now, you cannot downgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. You must do logical upgrades:

Windows Vista Home Basic > Windows 7 Home Basic, Premium or Ultimate

Windows Vista Home Premium > Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate

Windows Vista Business > Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate

Windows Vista Enterprise > Windows 7 Enterprise

Windows Vista Ultimate > Windows 7 Ultimate.

In your case, the only recommendation, is to back up your personal files and settings using Windows Easy Transfer do a clean install.

http://www.notebooks.com/2009/10/07/using-windows-easy-transfer-in-windows-7/

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin | Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.