Question

Q: Window 7 Ultimate reinstallation

I recently replacement the HD in my computer and obviously had to reinstall my OS.  I tried activating it during install and it wouldn't accept the product key.  I skipped the step so I could complete installation.  I tried to active and received the following error: The following failure occured while trying to use the product key:  Code: 0xC004F061  Description: The Software Licensing Service determined that this specific product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations.

What the heck do I do now?

Answer

A:

In order to check you have/had a valid XP installation the installation proces needs to find a activated XP. So you have to have XP installed in order to be able to use a Windows 7 UPGRADE installation.
It's a hassle, but heck you had XP and a reduced price windows 7 now...
No pain, no gain. Top seats are only for top rates (hence the different price of Win7 retail and upgrade).
Reduced price gives reduced pleasure.

Here a link for XP to Win 7
http://www.blogsdna.com/3217/step-by-step-guide-to-upgrade-windows-xp-to- windows-7.htm

It's about a pre release version of windows 7, but it still covers the RTM/Final scanario path.

"dsasbsd" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
Nope, wasn't Vista was XP Pro. While I appreciate your suggestion I have already reloaded all files and programs on the new hard drive and have no desire to have to revert to an earlier edition and then go through the entire process again.

Have a nice day!
Have a nice day!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 414 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: