Disappearing Programs

I have yet been able to regularly dupicate this problem, but it seems to happen to me at least once a day.  I did a clean install of W7RC on a fresh hard drive and everything installed fine.  However, occationally I will click a program on my task bar and it will way it's not there and ask me if I want to delete the shortcut.  If I go to the start bar, there are no programs and the only thing I can do it shut down.  I'm uncertain if Microsoft is finding this issue as I receive no apparent error.  Upon rebooting, everything is fine.  Like I said, I don't know how to reproduce it as it seems to have no trend towards doing a specific operation, but it seems to happen to me at least once a day.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 2,063 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Benjamin L,

Thanks for posting to "Getting Ready for Windows 7" community forum.

Do you know if the resolution for the display settings is set at a 60 mhz or above refresh rate?

You can check your display settings by right clicking an empty spot on the desktop and selecting Screen Resolution.  Select the Advanced Settings option listed from this screen and under the Monitor tab it will show you what the refresh rate is set to.  The initial issue sounds as though the screen is not refreshing and the icon selected is not actual available when clicked on.

If you would post what the screen refresh rate is set to into the forum and also, if you would download the latest video card driver from the manufacturers website and install it to see if it helps in resolving the issue.

Please let us know so we can assist you further if this does not resolve the issue.

Here is information involving installing a driver if it is not a signed Windows 7 driver;

1st, download the driver to a folder you've created on the desktop.

1.  Navigate to the .EXE (of the driver you downloaded to the folder on the desktop) 
2.  Right Click the .EXE driver and to Run the TROUBLESHOOT COMPATIBILITY tool - select TROUBLESHOOT COMPATIBILITY
or
2.  (Cont'd) Right click on the .EXE (installer to install the driver) and select Properties
3.  If you chose to run the Troubleshoot Compatibility tool - if Windows finds a possible solution it will respond with "TRY WINDOWS RECOMMENDED SETTINGS" and "CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS" .  Choose Try Windows Recommended Settings to use the driver setting Windows suggest.
or, after selecting Properties
3. Select the Compatibility tab -> "Run the program..."
3. Select Windows Vista or XP, and click OK
4. Try running the installer.

Kind regards,

Debbie
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Debbie

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hello, Benjamin

You can try doing a system file scan.

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, right click Command Prompt choose Run as Administrator, type “sfc /scannow” and press enter.

If that doesn’t help you can try doing an in-place upgrade, run the Windows 7 installer from within Windows 7, and choose to UPGRADE – this should reinstall while preserving your files and programs.

You may also be able to find others with a similar problem on the Windows 7 Support forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.