Easy Transfer Wizard Error: There isn't enough disk space available to transfer your files and settings. The Transfer file size is 40GB and I have a C: drive that says it has 280GB free and a D: drive that has 298GB free.

I did a successful save of the Easy Transfer files to an external hard drive.  Previously this computer was running Vista for over 1 year with no problems. 

After doing a Custom install (I wanted to start with a clean install) of Win7, everything is working.  I installed Windows/Office Updates and all of my other program files.  When I run Transfer Wizard, it locates the "old computer" transfer file and reads it OK, showing the Users and a transfer file size of 40.1GB.  When I click Transfer button, I get the error: There isn't enough disk space available to transfer your files and settings.  However, I have over 280GB free on my C: drive.

What disk is it looking at and what do I need to do to get around this.  If I cannot get my files/settings back, I am going to be a VERY unhappy customer.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2018 Views 13,471 Applies to:
Answer
I just went through same - WET from previous Dell PC running Windows 7 Ultimate to HP with Windows 7 Home Premium. Using Belkin Easy Transfer cable.
WET indicated insufficient space although the hard drive is double the size.
I clicked on "Advanced" and noticed that WET was trying to also transfer Dell factory image from recovery partition and recovery partition on HP was smaller.
I de-selected (unchecked) files in recovery partitio on old computer and things are going fine from main to main.
Hope that helps!

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.