Do I have to activate Windows 7?

Hi there everyone! I have a question. I recently ordered Windows 7 off Amazon because I was running a test version of Windows 7 Ultimate I believe and the test run was going to be up soon. I ordered a version of Windows 7 Home.

When the version I have tried to activate today it said my key wouldn't allow it because the version I had was an upgrade version. I being not so savvy with computers didn't realize there was a difference. It told to me to install an older version of windows and reinstall but I don't HAVE an older version. I was wondering if it's needed to activate your copy or if it's just as a safety measure for the customer? Anyone who could answer this would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2018 Views 4,735 Applies to:
Answer
When the version I have tried to activate today it said my key wouldn't allow it because the version I had was an upgrade version.  It told to me to install an older version of windows and reinstall but I don't HAVE an older version.
If you don't have a XP or Vista license you do not qualify for the Upgrade version. Per the EULA you would need to use the Full version of Windows 7. Activation is required.

If you need to return the upgrade: Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.