C and D drives full after upgrade from Windows 7

After I upgraded to windows 7 from vista via the student discount download, my D drive was so full it couldn't contain one full backup.  I tried disk cleanups, disk defragment, and running Norton cleanups on the disks, deleted all previous backups, but I still can't make a full backup on the disk.  If I delete everything from the D disk, except the system restore, its about half full, and can't run a full backup.  I also noticed my C drive is unusually full after the upgrade.  Some friends of mine said possibly vista is still installed somewhere on my hard drive(s), since that's what happened to them, but they solved it by "reformmatting" using their installation disk.  I used a download, however so I don't have any disk to use.  Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2018 Views 1,118 Applies to:
Answer
If I delete everything from the D disk, except the system restore
You are not supposed to store any data on the recovery partition.

I also noticed my C drive is unusually full after the upgrade. 
Windows.old on your C: drive

Usually, but not always, after installing Windows 7 you will have a Windows.old folder on your C: drive that contains data from the previous Windows installation. Open Windows Explorer and under "Computer" click on the C: drive - if the Windows.old folder is on your hard drive it will contain all your files from the previous Windows system, and it can be deleted if you don't need it to free up space on your hard drive.

Make sure you can see the Windows.old folder:
  1. Click Start, type:  hidden
  2. Click "Show hidden files and folders"
  3. Click to select "Show hidden files and folders"
  4. Uncheck the next three items:
       Hide empty drives
       Hide extensions from known file types
       Hide protected operating system files
  5. click OK
       (Note: after you are done go back and recheck "Hide protected operating system files." If you want to change the other settings back do so.)

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-remove-the-Windows-old-folder

If that doesn't delete the Windows.old folder:
In Windows Explorer you should see a folder called Windows.old on your C: drive. That contains all your files from your previous installation. If you need any files you can copy them to a different folder then delete Windows.old. If you don't need anything in the folder it is safe to delete.

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.