Windows 7(Ultimate) setup hangs:"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd, dvd, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

Hi,
first my hardware I'm trying to get installed:
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4 WD5000AAKS SATA 500GB drives configured as raid5 connected to the SB750

When I start the setup, everything is fine until I hit "Install now".
Afterwards I'm delighted with 5-10 min. of "Setup is starting", which is followed by
"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, cd, dvd, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

after that I provide the "ahcix64s.sys" which is the proper SB750 Raid driver.
I tried the versions from: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_raid_amd_sb7xx_bootdisk_win7-64bit.exe
and the one from AMD: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/WHQL_SB7xx_RAID_Vista_3.1.1540.127.zip
both with the same result: "no device could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media"

Just a side note: I'm installing from a USB flash drive, which has worked already, when I connect a single SATA drive in IDE mode to the Gigabyte SATA chip (jmb322); however this is not my desired config, i need to run the system from the raid.

Regards
Rio

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,780 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Rio777

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

It seems the issue with firmware or CD/DVD drive. As you are installing windows 7 from USB flash drive, I would suggest you to uninstall the CD/DVD drive or disable it, and then perform the installation. Let us know if you were able to install successfully.

To uninstall the driver follow the below steps:

i.                    Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

ii.                  Expand CD/DVD and right click on the sub item and click uninstall driver.

Once windows 7 is installed successfully, install the latest driver for windows 7 from the manufacturer website

You may even try to install Windows 7 from a different device or media and check if that helps.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.