Printers do are not showing up in Devices and Printers in Windows 7

I have just upgraded from Vista Home Premium (x64) to Windows 7 Home Premium.  The upgrade went fairly well, but neither of my printers was working after the upgrade.  The software warned me that the driver for my Brother HL 1240 might be a problem, so I was not surprised there, but my HP Business Inkject 2230 also did not work.

Both initially appeared in Devices and Printers.  But I deleted them and reinstalled them to get the upgraded drivers.  As I did this I realized that I had misdirected the LPT ports to both printers.  However, now the printers do not appear on the Devices and Printers screen, but do appear when accessed via other software.  I need to delete them so that I can redirect output to the correct printer, but cannot find anyplace to delete them.

Help!!!

Steve

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2018 Views 37,830 Applies to:
Answer
Most likely the devices are appearing as a part of the computer or the parallel card in Devices and Printers.  Right click the computer or parallel card, if you have a Printer Properties menu item, that's the printer you are looking for.  If you have Ultimate or Pro use printmanagement.msc anytime you need to change something with local printers.
Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
Formerly with Windows print team

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.