Activate windows 7 upgrade with a new key

I purchased a genuine windows 7 upgrade disc for Dell Pc. Installed it and activated the product. Went with clean start,  used home premium 64 bit. Then I installed the same disc as an upgrade on this pc which is my hp laptop. Install worked took 4 hours. Then when I tried to activate the product, it said invalid activation code or key. I didn't know that the key was good for only one pc. I have located a new genuine windows 7 upgrade key for sale and want to use it to activate my product on this pc. Will I have to re-install the disc and possibly loose my programs, or can I just use the new key to activate what I already upgraded on this laptop. Please advise me as to how I can solve this issue with the least amount of time and pain. Thanks for your help. Tony

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 854 Applies to:
Answer
All Win 7 product keys are for 1 computer only. I would be suspect where you purchased the product key from because there are some dodgy individuals selling these things. In short, if the product key is valid, it must be for the same version of Win 7 you have. That is Home Premium key for Home Premium version etc.
Frenchie

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.