Upgrading motherboard and CPU on a PC with OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium after the original motherboard and CPU failed and was returned for refund.

I built a new PC and activated my OEM Windows 7 disk within 3 days but a week later it died so I returned the motherboard and CPU that was purchased as a combo deal and now I want to get a better quality motherboard and CPU. I also am dual booting with Vista Ultimate 64 since I already had it and my wife uses it with an older copy of Paperport software. Windows Vista is on a 1.5TB Seagate HDD and Windows 7 is on a 2TB Seagate HDD and would they re-install using repair mode or do I need a fresh install.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 4,642 Applies to:
Answer

The  Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3Hmotherboard that I sent back has more problems (11% DOA on NEWEGG.com )  from other users than some other motherboards I am looking at so if I could activate another new motherboard with better ratings over the phone I would prefer to do that. I could see Microsoft wanting only one PC using the OEM Windows 7 install but there should be a way to show them proof of defective motherboard change.

Hi Joe

I removed the links to those images that contained your Personally Identifiable Information (PII).

It is against forum policy for a member to post any PII. This is for your own protection.

We can only offer our opinions about the EULA on these forums.

I would recommend that you post this question on the  Windows 7 Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows 7) Forum. The experts there should be able to give you a definitive answer, since they work with these issues on a daily basis.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.