Question

Q: Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Fails

Hi:  I just purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate OEM Upgrade disc.  When I attempted the install on my HP laptop (Vista Ultimate Home Premium), the upgrade was proceeding well until the very last restart when I got the message the Upgrade was not successful and the original verstion was going to be reinstalled (Vista).  Then the upgrade got stuck in a loop between this Windows 7 error screen and Restart.  I even tried shutting down my laptop, but when it came back up it returned to the error screen/restart loop???  Tks for the help!  Davideagleye

Answer

A:

Some clarification.

There is no such thing as a Windows 7 Ultimate OEM Upgrade disk.

Windows 7 OEM versions are identical to full version retail Windows Packages.

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Retail Upgrade Packages are only available through retail and are packaged in shrink wrapped boxes.

As for the error message, you might want to try the following:

1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade or do a clean install.
2. Make sure your computer is updated (devices and applications)
3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.
4. Check your hard disk for any errors:
Click Start
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click 'Run as Administrator'
At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
       User Account Control permission
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
   2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
   3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
   4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
   5. Click OK.
   6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
   7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displayLang=en

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 265 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: