Fix Separate System and Boot Hard Drives

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed a new HD for my system that was running Windows 7. I had purchased the Windows 7 digital download installer so I have no install/repair CDs to work with. My goal is to replace the old HD with the new one such that the new HD serves as both the system and the boot drive and if I want to I can either remove the old hard drive entirely or wipe it and use it for back up storage.

After installing and formatting the new HD I performed a custom installation of Windows 7 using my downloaded installer and selected the new drive as the drive to install windows. After the installation completed I checked the Disk Mangagement and the old drive (C:) is designated as the system drive and the new drive (Z:) is the boot drive. As it currently stands if I unplug the old drive (C:) the attempt to turn the system on it tries to boot from the CD (which I don't have) and Windows 7 won't start. Further it appears that both drives now have Windows 7 installed and if I have both plugged in, upon startup it asks what software I would like to run "Windows 7" or "Windows 7," after a 20 second countdown it starts up normally. This is more of an annoyance than a show stopper because it adds about 20 seconds every time I start the system.

Any Ideas on how to fix the issue? I will try reinstalling Windows 7. If that doesn't work my next thought is to burn the digital installer to a CD, unplug the old drive and when it prompts to load from CD to try the burned disk.

Thanks for any help

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 571 Applies to:
Answer
Fixed the problem following the instructions here:
http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/moving-vista-boot-manager-bcd-114342.html

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.