Bootable Flash Drive or Hard drive to install Windows 7

Original Title: Estimating Windows 7 WIM File sizes - UFD too small for image

I was trying to capture awim file for Windows 7 to a bootable ufd, but the 16GB UFD was too small.  I reran and directed the capture to a USB hard drive.  Is there a tool to estimate the UFD size required?  Is the FAT32 format a constraint?

Can I build a bootable USB hard drive and capture the image to it so that If I boot from the USB HD instead of the UFD?

Can I install from a USB hard drive instead of the UFD?  Then I would not be limited to the USB size of 16GB or 32GB.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,388 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dan Hauge,

·        Do you have an ISO file for Windows 7?

Please refer the below mentioned link which will guide you through the steps on how to make a bootable Flash Drive for Windows 7.

Installing Windows 7 on a netbook

Also refer:

Windows 7: Setting up a USB bootable device for installs - Jeff Alexander's Weblog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Installing Windows 7 using usb thumb drive

You can use a Hard Drive, if you wish to, instead of a Flash Drive to make a bootable drive. Also, file system on the drive is not a constraint here. You can make a bootable flash drive even if it is a FAT32 file system.

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.