Windows Easy Transfer Report

Hi, I recently bought a new PC with Windows 7 already installed. I performed a Windows Easy Transfer of most of my stuff from my old XP to the windows 7 PC with no fuss, except when it was installing/saving the transferred data, it asked me for my old PC's password. I didnt know it, didnt even know it had one and neither did my husband. We tried all the obvious ones, then just gave up and closed that window down. And the rest of the installation/saving continued.

Now when I go to view the report of what was transferred, I am unable to open it as it keeps saying that an error has occured, and do I want to continue running scripts. Then a pop up box appears with the following message. "Windows easy Transfer Post Migration Application has stopped working". It then searches for a solution, then says "it has a problem that caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify if a solution becomes available".

Then the report closes down and I cant view it at all.

What can I do??

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 1,951 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Guran99,

Step 1:

Go to:

a.    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Easy Transfer

b.   Open the folder and see what files are present and then double click on the report file and that should open the file in Internet Explorer and give you the complete report.

Step 2:

Also, I suggest you to run SFC scan to find missing or corrupt files that may be causing this issue.

System File Checker (SFC) checks that all Windows 7 system files are where they should be as they were by default and not corrupted, changed, or damaged.

a.    Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and  select Run as Administrator.

b.    Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted. 

c.    In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

d.    sfc /scannow

e.    You should see the following on-screen message:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

f.     Verification % complete. 

g.    Once the scan has completed, test to see whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved or not.

Refer the KB article for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.